Onkyo TX 8500mkII

tylertjeep73

Found this and some ESS LS5 speakers at my grandparents hidden away in the garage today she even has the original purchase receipt and manuals for both !
This thing is almost as big as my MARANTZ 2500 and I've never even heard of it
Any specs or info appreciated
It turns on but if I turn the volume up above very low the soft start relay clicks out for a second as if I had just turned the amp on then it clicks on again and runs normal I'm sure it needs a good going through

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 181
That's a monster receiver for sure.
And the price was right.
Actually way under right.

Interesting how makers around 1980 chose to imitate each other in their transition from all analog displays to all digital.

That Onkyo is a highly under appreciated receiver by everything I have heard from people who have owned one. And hey, the price was right! How does it stack up to your 2500? :)

I own one and can say for sure that the 8500MKII is one hell of a receiver. It had dual mono amp design and an incredible tuner. Mine has been in need of repair and I have been unable to find anyone to take it on. Congrats on a great find.

Yea this one needs some love but cosmetically it's perfect, I'll be looking for a repair tech in so cal
Glad to hear it's a beast I tend to listen LOUD!

So is there anyone who could either assist me in repairing this thing "just another brain to bounce ideas off of "
Or am I on my own I don't really see any mention of onkyo on here or really any repairs being done ?

That is one hell of a receiver.I've got one myself though I've never worked on it or had any work done to it.

Well I need 4 main Caps 15000uf 78wv 2" by 4" I don't know lead spacing or ripple current though ...
Any help is much appreciated !
It currently is running and seems to have started running a bit better just from actually running since yesterday but definitely needs main capacitors

Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......the Big Onk'is a crappy receiver!

Kingbubba....what is wrong with yours? They are eminently fixable receivers.

You made a great score! No doubt about that!

Only this is since I haven't removed the original caps idk if they are screw terminal or solder type and I don't know the lead spacing
I'm dying to not be at work right now !

Back
Top Bottom