Pioneer SA-8800 Fluctuating Pitch

Mouse1903

Evening all. It's been about 20 months since I bought a second hand SA-8800 and had it serviced and recapped. Been using it daily since December 2013 and I use it with my TV too.

Noticed on some channels it sounding like the pitch of the sound was changing like a faulty cassette but I put it down to a bad TV signal. This I noticed a few months ago. Now I have the turntable on tonight and the pitch fluctuation is noticeable again. Does this point to a particular component that may need attention or replacement?

An amplifier WILL NOT alter the pitch of a turntable or cassette playback.

THAT is the source's fault: either the cassette or the turntable - whichever was being used.

Amplifier could alter pitch if there is a crossed signal wire. Had that in a M-90 at the volume control connector.

Does this happen only in Phono, or also in tuner or playing a CD thru the Aux input?

Turntable goes through the tape monitor as it has it'a own preamp, CD player through tuner and TV or iPod through Aux.

Only seems to do it now and again. When I started it up there was a bit of static that registered on the meters - used to get that before it was serviced.

I think you have a bad power switch on the amp. You probably have the power cord on the turntable plugged into the switched outlet on the amp. When the power switch loses contact the turntable slows down. Replace the power switch and the safety capacitor across the switch.

Turntable has it's own power chord. That also wouldn't explain why the pitch fluctuates using the TV and a different channel.

Wouldn't be the speakers would it?

Turntable has it's own power chord. That also wouldn't explain why the pitch fluctuates using the TV and a different channel.

That's why I asked you if it happens with other sources but you ignored the question.
The problem isn't with the amplifier. It isn't possible for an amplifier to change pitch. Can't happen.

What do you mean when you say 'pitch' ? - do you perhaps mean that it sounds 'tinny' (too much treble) ? or boomy (not enough treble) ?

When you say 'pitch' to the experts - they assume you mean it sounds as if the turntable speed/tape speed has increased/decreased. This is why you are getting a lot of questions about using other sources - to eliminate a music source with a mechanical element that can slow down or speed up.

Please be more concise about what you mean by 'pitch'.

I guess as pitch can also refer to speed, the actual frequency of the sound is fluctuating very slightly but noticeably.

@dr*audio: I did advise it was from different sources if you read my posts.

So is it correct to say the tone is fluctuating? In other words you get more or less treble or bass without adjusting the tone controls? Changes in pitch can only occur because of changes in the speed of the record or tape being played. The receiver can't cause changes in pitch.

Not the tone but the actual frequency.

Now a new problem has surfaced as of last night, one of the phono channels has now got permanent interferencing / rushing air noise through it without anything playing, and also when you play the Aux channel and switch to Tuner, you can faintly hear the source from the Aux channel playing.

(And when I went downstairs to check again, my CD-63 has now gone on the blink!)

As far as I know, that little quiet signal when you turn it to the top is normal and shouldn't be an issue. Unless its because a record output for the tape decks has somehow been shorted?

Last edited:
So a little feedback through the other channels is ok? Certainly I do have to turn it right up to hear it. Would the noisy phono channel point to transistors?

I can confirm the fluctuating pitch was actually down to the Freeview signal from the TV being dodgy on certain channels, so at least that problem is solved :thmbsp:

I love the amp so prepared to pay any cost to keep it in working order. :music:

So a little feedback through the other channels is ok? Certainly I do have to turn it right up to hear it. Would the noisy phono channel point to transistors?

I can confirm the fluctuating pitch was actually down to the Freeview signal from the TV being dodgy on certain channels, so at least that problem is solved :thmbsp:

I love the amp so prepared to pay any cost to keep it in working order. :music:

It sounds like a possible phase shift, though this can happen when video camera and microphone move. Have you confirmed your speakers are in phase?

Late reply...yes speakers are definitely in phase. Still noisy on the phono channel with volume up. Aux (iPod/TV) and Tape (CD) are ok

Perhaps your amplifier is on the very edge of oscillation, but only sometimes does the signal 'excite' the method of oscillation enough for it to be noticeable? Under these conditions I would estimate you will be hearing considerable distortion too...

Whatever it is, it is an extremely unusual fault - unless there is a piece of connected equipment you have not told us about? - sorry I have to pose the question because it does happen... you know "Oh you mean the equaliser..." it does happen. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom