Bad news what to do with my Spec 2?

Fixed. Yellow jump wires create connection to the "dead bug" relay replacement fix.

NoAbrdm7II50AN9RtxCsWOB9uCt_0uEoB0-mgYftTTk=w1096-h823-no

SO, since the amp has been in and out the leads on the SRV-4 must has gotten stressed. I was very (VERY) careful, because I know. But a lead broke and before I caught it, the amp ran away and blew an output.

:gigglemad:

Fixed the output. Adjusted the bias. OK, fine.

Checked the other amp and bias won't adjust. Trim pot was bad. SO, pulled the amp and replaced that.

All better.

0ThwxbmdUQviXBqTvVh8YzISoO8vouEWdZl_yPwx1HY=w1096-h823-no

I managed to remove a lot of dust and dirt along the way.

I don't want to rip on other techs that are willing and trying to save the vintage gear. But, I do see a lot of work that is not "restoration" grade.

How things work is easy. What things do when broken and what's doing it, is hard! Intermittent is the biggest bitch at the party.

I understand cost of running a shop.

I would like to charge shop rates so I can continue to do this. (I take paypal if you want to donate :D).

People need to start understanding that this stuff is worth saving and fixing. I think the days of a good used stereo, cheap are going away. This stuff is old now and almost everything past 1980 is garbage. More and more vintage is going to need work and techs are scarce.

If it wasn't for AK, I would know how to fix. I wouldn't know "restoration" grade fixing. So, thank you all for sharing and caring.

AND, IF some of the shops I thought should be able to fix things COULD fix things, I wouldn't know how.

Now, we need more people to hear a properly restored vintage unit to understand that its worth every penny, and then some, to get that sound! Magic wires be damned, get it restored!

SO, this was "serviced" before you got it and it ran a year and then you had it in the shop twice, yes?

And no one noticed that the bias pot was FUBAR?

SO, did they do "lip service"?

SO, this was "serviced" before you got it and it ran a year and then you had it in the shop twice, yes?

And no one noticed that the bias pot was FUBAR?

SO, did they do "lip service"?

Yes, It was serviced before I bought it, Then I took it back about 9 months later for the dead channel ( see the included parts & service slip) made its 3rd trip 60 days later when the interment problem started .....So 3X’s on his bench in one year.:thumbsdn:

Obviously he missed the FUBAR bias pot and a whole lot more!:sadwave:

Very happy that she is working again!:banana:
Thanks so much!:ntwrthy:

PQ

Just in case you missed it...
Thank you very,very much:ntwrthy::ntwrthy::ntwrthy::ntwrthy::ntwrthy::ntwrthy:
A very happy:D
PQ

Congratulations on having your Spec saved, and to blhagstrom for getting it done, and done right.

For those of us with Spec gear and limited local resources it's nice to know there are guys out there who can and will put in the effort to keep these beauties running for us.

Congratulations on having your Spec saved, and to blhagstrom for getting it done, and done right.

For those of us with Spec gear and limited local resources it's nice to know there are guys out there who can and will put in the effort to keep these beauties running for us.

Amen!!!!!1
PQ

Time to give this amp a new lease on life.:yes:
Just gave blhagstrom the go ahead for a full restoration!
New capacitors on order.:banana:

This should be interesting.:lurk:
PQ

refresh

Spoke to PQ and decided on a re-cap to freshen it up and extend life.

These are really decent to work on. Front plate off and entire board is exposed.

2WvwBoYQFtk8MKZtWKNt6PRQF3KDCIQjmq1nqaGgC1I=w794-h595-no

All those old e-caps are going. Anyone know a source for the 160V BP under the relay?

2X0riWZn98_8jvEiGN9k39Lw7I1vCfCAYxLE6j2DfLw=w794-h595-no

Amps unplug and lift out and not many caps there. Here are the new ones installed and a better photo of the "dead bug" relay replacement.

fPA9LvK0geRyBSVvO2-ihVzXtGEcG7FDyxRTRoNjaro=w794-h595-no

Nice!
Glad to see good progress being made.:thmbsp:

IMHO the Spec Series is as good as Pioneer got in the 70’s.
(With the exception of some of the exclusive gear.)
I tend to think of these amps as the audio equilvent of “Big block muscle cars”
Yes, there are modern day muscle cars that out perform & handel the late 60’s early 70’s Vetts ,Cobras & Hemis.
But they lack the simplicity & charm of the the classic models.

I am not dissing on Detroit’s newest generation of muscle cars they are awesome & amazing but your average Joe can’t work on them.
And they have yet to stand the test of time.
But I am happy that they are once again making them big,bad & fast again

Hopefully the audio world will take a cue from the auto industry & start making modern equilvent’s of some of the great audio classics!

Cheers
PQ

Nice!
Glad to see good progress being made.:thmbsp:

IMHO the Spec Series is as good as Pioneer got in the 70’s.
(With the exception of some of the exclusive gear.)
I tend to think of these amps as the audio equilvent of “Big block muscle cars”
Yes, there are modern day muscle cars that out perform & handel the late 60’s early 70’s Vetts ,Cobras & Hemis.
But they lack the simplicity & charm of the the classic models.

I am not dissing on Detroit’s newest generation of muscle cars they are awesome & amazing but your average Joe can’t work on them.
And they have yet to stand the test of time.
But I am happy that they are once again making them big,bad & fast again

Hopefully the audio world will take a cue from the auto industry & start making modern equilvent’s of some of the great audio classics!

Cheers
PQ

I think the new muscle cars like new motorcycles lack the soul the old ones had. Maybe amps like the Spec 2 have more soul too.

The rest of the caps arrived and I have them installed. Cleaned out the inside a bit while things were apart. Looks a lot better in there now.

2Hzuk9sMSb4w3tqPh-D_QKo3F6KdcuvS83coFE6GacE=w756-h567-no

3ehibjFy9RsGxzYNn0TWeMsl74dnd4FzNkwSvUBt7Bw=w756-h567-no

Which caps did you use, and were the diameters the same - if not, what was necessary to mount them?

edit - did you add a second (top view) picture, or did I have a senile moment in asking the question?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom