PA1002A Module

m1k35r

I have spent the last several weeks researching and developing a small replacement module to take the place of Pioneer's PA1002(A) chip.
It has all the functionality of the original including power on and power off muting, off channel muting, and amplification to spec.

Is there any interest out there at all for this? Just asking. I plan on putting a few on eBay in a week or so for around $90.

I have tested it in my TX-D1000 tuner and brought it back from the dead.

Just a thought, I would be competitive with the prices of the chips when they are found.

I would like to vet the schematic, in confidentiality, up to the level of a non-disclosure agreement. I have done this with others.

This is/was a back burner project I was working on as well, and I would be happy to shed it.

Pa1002a

Basically, it's a 2" x 2" pcb that I designed using surface mount parts. No electrolytics (on the production model), tantalums only. It will have two sets of 8 wires (basically the same kind as IDE or floppy) coming from the board to a 16 pin header. I will supply a 16 pin machined socket to put in place of the chip. The header will simply plug into the socket via aprox 4" leads (described above). The board will be dipped in opaque potting compound to insulate it so it can rest anywhere or be attached using double sided mounting tape. The max height is just under 1/4 inch. I hope this helps.

One note, tantalum caps are not well regarded for passing audio, which most of the pa1002 caps in that area are used for.

In fact my unproved suspicions are that the old CSZA caps ("solid aluminum" not tantalum) increasing leakage may be taking out the PA1002a's, or inducing an internal voltage divider or power supply circuit that sets most of the 6.7v readings found on the pins to destruction...

They (CSZA capa) are not in the 1980, but are in the 1280, (i cannot determine the TX-D1000 from available literature) and others to be edited in this line.

There is an equation about voltage rating of the tantalum caps and actual working voltage, for safety/longevity/short avoidance.

MLC cap's are superior to tantalum, unless you need lots of capacity.
I use 10uF/1210/50V MLC caps for the majority of my design work.
The $90 price tag is a bit steep, to say the least. I understand that you have invested lots of time/effort, so it is hard to get your ROI back, which is always a challenge.
On another note:
I was looking at this tuner design, a bit more, looks to suffer from inadequate IF filtering (selectivity), using only two CF elements and one HA1201(IF limiter). Other tuners like in the sx-1980 use 5 CF elements and 3 of HA1201's.
SX-D7000 which is a later design, uses 2 of HA1201's and 3 CF elements.
I wonder why Pioneer took the cheap route on this model, cost reduction(peformance), I guess?

The tantalum caps in my circuit won't be passing any audio. Two are small 4.7uf caps in the ground circuit of the op amps I used to boost the final signal, the others are 100uf caps off the regulator circuit. Most of the original circuitry has been bypassed, however the coupling caps in the tuner will still be employed. You may want to change those before installing the module, but my TX-D1000 worked fine.

I will try to post some pictures this week - I've been very busy drafting the final PCB design.

Thanks!

I ordered two KB4438's and confirmed that they were the PA1002 replacement with the Vendor. Total cost with shipping was about $ 52.00. We'll see what I get. He states that the has a limited quantity and has sold 2 dozen to others looking for the PA1002. Hope this helps, limited source but a source none the less.

MMIX

Last edited:
I ordered two KB4438's from ... Hope this helps, limited source but a source none the less.

MMIX

And now that this has gone public - they will disappear quickly. :tears:

It won't be like that German STV-3H treasure trove.

All since May, by some new members.

THIS kind of thing is done by PM for Unobtanium parts.

It's not just other units and their owners buying them up, but profit motivated speculators that will gouge their victims. And we won't be able to TRUST the source any longer. HOW much would you pay to unbrick a piece of gear? Of yours that died, or that you got at a fantastic price because the chip was fried?

MMIX, if you edit the link out of your post, I will edit it out of the quote.

TWO for 52 total, or did it work out to 52 each with shipping?

Either way, I don't have that kind of $ to invest.

Well, the replacement project goes back on the back burner.... by the time I'll need it, It'll be ready.

and... as for me, I was getting groceries yesterday, backing into a parking space (come on, that's GOT to be gentle) , when BANG!!!! the car DROPS...
snapped a front (left) torsion bar... :sigh: more distractions from Ak...

Last edited:
I’ve edited the post as requested.
I apologize for the breech of forum protocol; I found these doing a Google search. The information was already public for anyone wishing to look for it. My only intent was to save anyone looking for this part a little time searching for them.
Cost breakdown is $ 19.20 for the 2 IC’s, $ 29.00 fee due to low order amount, remaining cost was shipping.

Again, I'll see what I ultimately get but the vendor seemed legit for our correspondence.

Mike

THANK YOU!!! :D

Wow, 29.00 fee for low $ order size.... that does impact the single/multiple unit purchase decision...

btw, I edited it so quickly that even I don't have a copy of your link!! which is OK, you will become one of the "go to guys"... lol...

Back
Top Bottom