KR4070- made a good 1 from 2 units

beanoil

That's not how this works
Thanks for the inspiration fellow AK cats...
I've had a KR4070 for a number of years, and was not very careful with it in my youth. It's bruised and beat up, and in generally poor shape. The power switch gave up long ago, and it's been turned on and off by a power strip for a long time. The left channel is weak, and the pots are scratchy.
I found an identical unit on that auction site that was advertised as not working/parts only. The owner listed the unit as dead, and in his experience the power supply was kaput. So I bought it cheap.
It's cool and raining today here in the great Midwest, so it's a good day for some chili, a cold one, and a little stereo work. I started with the auction purchase. Ohming out the power switch showed a perfect switch, open in off, and 0 ohms in the on position. Cool.
I figured I had nothing to lose, so I plugged it in. Yep, no lights. Checked the transformer output, and had the correct voltages at the correct pins. Fuses checked good, I guess the guy was right. Stuck a finger on the 300 ohm antenna input, spun the knob, and was surprised to see the FM meter deflect, and show signal strength. Hooked up a couple speakers, and was even more surprised to hear clear FM. Both channels equal, no scratch from volume or balance.
I let it play a couple of hours, and determined that the purchased Kenny had less problems than my original one. So I spent the rest of the day cleaning and swapping case parts, knobs, and covers to make a nice working unit. I added a SS relay to protect the working switch: 8 bucks from Amazon. I'm a happy boy right now, Joe Bonamassa is playing in the background. And the chili is pretty doggone good too....

Attachments

• SS Relay.jpg
    SS Relay.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 13
  • SS Relay_1.jpg
    SS Relay_1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom