Looking for shop to repair a KA-9100

The Old Guy

I'm not sure if I am in the correct part of the form for this question but here goes. I have a Kenwood KA-9100 that I bought new around 1977-78 it was a great amp till the volume control got really noisy. I had it to several local repair shops back in the 80s to be repaired but each time it still had the same problem when I got it back so it's been sitting around here since then. What I would like to find is a few names of shops that are familiar with amp and would like it to go over it and see what it would take to repair it. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Has it ever had the switches and pots cleaned properly? This is something you should do and can do yourself. Get yourself some deOxit and Faderlube, read this thread, and then clean it. See if that fixes the problem that those shops couldn't.

There's lots of threads on the 9100 here to also read and you can download a service manual from hifiengine.com once you register there. You're in the right place to get your 9100 back into use.

I had tried to clean the amp my self but that was back in the 80s and I was probably not using the correct type of cleaner at that time I think it was more a lubricant than a pure cleaner. I have to get a few cans of Deoxit and give that a try. Thanks for the help.

after you use deoxit on the pots (work the pot many times), let it dry and then use a fader lube (work the pot) let it dry. The deoxit dries out the carbon in the pots so the lube adds a conductive coating. you need to remove the covers to get at the pots. The vol pot is a little tricky to get stuff into it .. good luck.

John M

The Old Guy;8181199 I have to get a few cans of Deoxit and give that a try. Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE said:
1 can each of D5 (deOxit) and F5 (FaderLube) should be plenty. I'm still on cans I bought a couple years ago and many restores in between. And yes, you do have to remove the top and bottom covers to get to the pots and switches.

Thanks for the help it be great if just a little TLC would bring my old 9100 to life I always liked that amp it's been a real workhorse I've used it to power several Altec A7S at some parties in the late 70s and even used it to run a local rock bands pa. when their amp went down and it never missed a beat so it would be great to be able to use the old 9100 again.

Back
Top Bottom