KR-9600 outputs

gonzothegreat

Picked this up at the Janesville AK-fest at the Silver Moon. Kenwood's TOTL KR-9600. The seller said it had a bad channel and that it was probably an output IC. I didn't know that the devices are 24 karat pure unobtainium (god I love that word).

Hope springs eternal and I've heard whispers of a mod to sub discrete devices for the custom ones. When I bought my Kenwood Basic M1a at a hamfest ten years ago, some vintage hifi guy behind me told me about a mod to sub for Kenwood output ICs that I now realize was probably the trick I am looking for. Sadly I haven't seen this guy in years. He used to run Tritium Electronics in Milwaukee. My gut tells me he wired up a few 2sc3281 style devices (TO-3P outputs used in my TFM-25 and IIRC Sanyofreak's custom amp).

I've seen a mention of this mod here but no specifics. Any leads I can run down? Schematic sources?

I know this would bollix the collector value but if the only options are to mod it or part it out, then prepare for surgery nurse.

I'd suggest having it look at by a tech. Those output modules are not exactly fragile.

There are at least 2 dozen failure modes for this amp that don't involve a dead module, and I'd suggest having them examined.

I do have a schematic for a module replacement for a KA-9100, but would require some reworking to the current limit circuit for a KR-9600. Been meaning to do that (just for the hell of it), but it's one of those 900+ things that you figure you'll 'get around to sometime' and never seem to get motivated enough to do.

The big Kenwood KR-9600 is definitely worth getting back to snuff. It is a fine-sounding receiver with powerful amps and a splendid tuner section.

When I got my 9600 both modules were bad, I laid out a board with a new design Sanyo STK module rated at 300W, 9600 now puts out 200W into 8 ohms and 300W into 4 ohms. Took a quick look for the schematic and drew a blank, used STK4048V or a STK4050V, either will work in the KR9600 using the power supply, will require a new board and 2 holes drilled in the existing heat sink.
Couple of years ago I picked up another 9600 that had been hit by lightning, only parts that were salvageable were the front panel and output modules, sold the modules for $100 each ......

Originally posted by EchoWars
There are at least 2 dozen failure modes for this amp that don't involve a dead module, and I'd suggest having them examined.

This was more a "request for comments". I haven't had much time to monkey with the unit yet. I plan on swapping modules between channels if they look suspicious. I just wanted to know if this was a mod that was worth the work. That and it would be nice to have this mod publicly documented. I found the site for the store the guy owned and I emailed him for the mod info.

If it is the outputs and I can hack a sub, I'll replace both channels and keep the good one as trade bait.

A receiver with rack mount handles - now there's something you don't see every day Chauncey...

Maybe I'm rich!!
I do have a TA-200. Also a TA-80.
I also have noted that a TA-100 is the same as Sanken S-100 which I have also(and it looks just like the TAs except the Sankens are silver and the TAs are brownish). So I would assume the TA-200 is the same as S-200.
The Sanken I have is a S-100wa. When doing a google search I didn't find anything, however using just sanken s-100w brought up a few sites. When I tried just Sanken S-100 brought up too many sites not related.
I'll have to play more on the research with S-200(w)(wa)
Doug

Interesting...

How many leads on the devices you have?

(The stock Kenwood units have 10 leads...)

Way to go AKers!

This is exactly why I love this place. It certainly looks like Doug has found the OEM for the Kenwood modules. I'm tempted to buy two just in case I need them in the future (and in case somebody here buys all remaining stock and resells them on ebay for $100 each)

I really don't want that to happen here. On another group, we found a source for NOS HV supplies (pure Unobtainium) for an obscure videogame monitor for dirt cheap. Just days later, the dealer's entire stock was bought out by an unscrupulous (sp?) lowlife and ransomed them off one by one for an obscene profit. At least that's what I heard...

I wouldn't mind if the techs here bought a bunch for their work. Just want to make sure people who need 'em, get 'em.

I'd say if that is a limited supply - kiss them goodbye.:smsex:
Fair warning - No one has confirmed replacement.

Last edited:
Well if anyone can comfirm that it's a 'plug and play' replacement I might consider getting one to spare my KR9600, would be a real bummer to have to store it away if an output module went west. I always figured I would just try and find a basket case KR9600 on e-bay if mine went bad.

Lefty

I just ordered a pair Wednesday afternoon. Mind you I still don't know if these are drop-in subs or if my outputs are bad. I know that if I missed a chance to grab some spares, I'd be kicking my keister in the morning...

I e-mailed B&D , Kenwood and Allegro(Sanken USA).
The only reply was B&D and they couldn't verify the sub.
I would image if they could the price of their S200w would double.
If we could find a model(100-200w amp) of an amp that uses the Sanken IC then we could compare circuits.
Attached is another comparison of Sanken VS Kenwood ics..

If you could simply find a data sheet on the 100W or 200W Sanken part, I could maybe verify if they will drop in...

I just received the output pack from B+D. Haven't had a chance to play with them. Hopefully tonight I can pull the modules out of my 9600 and do a quick diode check.

Back
Top Bottom