Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

And again, Tite-Bond II is the glue of choice... havnt used III, and 'I' performed poorly (too brittle, shreds on removal)

With a thin credit card (membership cards usually are perfect) you can do a side in 20 seconds. put disc on turntable... on at 33rpm, drop a stream of glue from inner run out slowly to lead in (leaving perhaps a 3/4" gap between your glue spiral)... turn off table... spin record by hand with one hand, use card to spread out glue with other hand.... in a few seconds youve got the smoothest, most consistent glue job youll ever have.... and you can work the glue like this as hard into the grooves as you want... spend a few extra moments spinning in the glue into the grooves.... much better effectiveness!

I have the opposite experience and approach.

I use Original Titebond and it works like a champ, not brittle at all. I also spread the glue on in a "daisy" pattern while the TT is off. Then, turn on @ 33, use the card and first slowly work the glue, then give a little force/pressure to get it in the grooves, then slowly rework for an even spread. I use a card similar to a hotel "key" (flimsier than a credit card (maybe this is what you use as well)).

Similarly opposite! But, I agree, working the glue into the grooves really makes a difference on the sound (and lack of noise).

I had been thinning my glue with a little IPA and distilled water. I stopped because straight glue spread more evenly, dried faster, and peeled more easily. I have been disappointed with the results of the last few records I glued (straight). I may try re-doing them with thinned glue. I'm not set up in a way that I can really work the glue into the grooves. Perhaps my thinned glue accomplishes the same thing as the mechanical pressure you folks are applying.

After hearing the boys over in Europe chat this one up, I decided to give it a go. It’s a bit “fiddly” as they say over there and it does takes a bit of practice, but even my first attempt on a not-so-loved ancient and filthy specimen, produced a dramatic, near elimination of surface noise. Better than the proVPI clean that I’ve been paying $1.50 a pop to have done.

After seeing your 'filthy specimen', my LP's don't seem so filthy afterall. :D

Disclaimer: I haven't read any more than the first page and jumped to post. I intend to read all 30 pages.

For 20 years I have used Poly Vinyl Alcohol (PVA) in just this way to clean LPs. That is, give them a "facial mask." That is the analogy I have always used for it.

I bought a kit from Old Colony Sound and then bought a large quantity of PVA and went for it covering my dining room table with the LPs on towels to protect the underside.

But I just wanted to interject that this is a time honored method of LP cleaning. It was sold as "The Williamson method."

I haven't had as good a result and will try this with a few of the dollar LPs I haven't cleaned. I have nothing except a couple of dollars to lose.

Last edited:
I may try this for some lp i got that got flooded in a basement.
Wat glue works best?

Just get some regular Elmer's or Elmer's wood glue.

By the way how long have those LP's been damaged by floodwater?

If it's been too long maybe even the glue treatment won't work.

I gave this a shot on an LP I picked up at SA that looked to be in very good condition, no visible scratches, dust etc. It just sounded like crap once I put the needle on.

I used aileen's tacky glue because had a bottle sitting around the house and it took over night and a little of the next to turn clear and it pulled off in one piece quite easily. The first thing I noticed was that the top side was still a little tacky but the side glued to the record was not, at all. It felt smooth as if it was covered with a fine layer of dust etc. Is the result you guys have gotten? If so, I think it's quite easy to tell that it will make an improvement. I haven't had a chance to play it yet but I will report back the results.

I gave this a shot on an LP I picked up at SA that looked to be in very good condition, no visible scratches, dust etc. It just sounded like crap once I put the needle on.

I used aileen's tacky glue because had a bottle sitting around the house and it took over night and a little of the next to turn clear and it pulled off in one piece quite easily. The first thing I noticed was that the top side was still a little tacky but the side glued to the record was not, at all. It felt smooth as if it was covered with a fine layer of dust etc. Is the result you guys have gotten? If so, I think it's quite easy to tell that it will make an improvement. I haven't had a chance to play it yet but I will report back the results.

The proof of the pudding... you get it. I am eager to hear how it worked for you. Elmer's glue is on sale at Ace hardware.

Just get some regular Elmer's or Elmer's wood glue.

By the way how long have those LP's been damaged by floodwater?

If it's been too long maybe even the glue treatment won't work.

I dont think that long. The sleeve got damp and rotted some. I was able to take most of it off with a mofi brush.

I tried this on a really old dusty panio lp. While it still poppy and crackly, its a lot better sounding.
Also tpae work well to remove those small peices or glue.

Last edited:
Here is another showdown for you. This album appeared in very good shape visually, but as someone said, it sounded awful. This pre-glue sample was recorded AFTER cleaning with an Audioquest brush as well as a Sound Guard pad w/ D4+ fluid. The after Aleene's is just that, after peeling the Aleene's off, without any additional cleaning...

If this doesn't make a believer out of you, you like noise on your vinyl!

Pre-glue sample (after using an Audioquest brush, and a Sound Guard pad w/ D4+ fluid)

After Aleene's Tacky glue

I dont think that long. The sleeve got damp and rotted some. I was able to take most of it off with a mofi brush.
I think that soaking the LPs in water (with some label protector applied) before applying wood glue should improve the effect of the glue.

I think that soaking the LPs in water (with some label protector applied) before applying wood glue should improve the effect of the glue.

:nono:

Never, never use tap water though.

Only distilled and high grade water is gonna do.

Why would water help?
I'm really hesitant to do this to a copy of DSOTM. Even though its perfectly safe.
What are you guys using to spread it?

Last edited:
Why would water help?
I'm really hesitant to do this to a copy of DSOTM. Even though its perfectly safe.
What are you guys using to spread it?

Maybe the water would soften up the caked on label?

Just use a flimsy plastic card (similar to a hotel "key") to spread the glue. Do this on a turntable (will not spill over), use Titebond Original. Really, just read the entire thread.

I've done this on 75+ LPs and it hasn't damaged one of them. Don't sweat it.

yeah, I didn’t do it on a turntable just a clean cloth. I also would use a flimsy card. I used an acme supersaver card (not a strong a credit card) and was still wishing it would give a little more. It's surprising how difficult spreading glue can be.

as for my results, it's dead quiet (for the most part) on the lead in and I didn't hear any of the noise I heard before, also I think the record is like that somewhat, noisey recording thatis.

Hello everyone,
I have had also amazing results with wood glue:D; I have tried european brands "Sader" and "Patex Type II".
I think Patex is much easier to work with; it stays flexible and dries faster.
"Sader" was way too sticky, I had to pull the mask so hard and it breaks:no:

Somebody mentioned the product "Discofilm".
There is also a french product called "LGL"; it basically the same principle.
One can buy it online, or during collectors meeting.
Well, I tried it: it's very liquid, remains transparent at all times, takes 6-7 hours to dry. Confortable to spread, easy to remove, feels like a giant piece of ordinary office tape.
Of course no way to know what's in it; however it has a strong smell of isoprop alcohol, interesting :scratch2:.

Here is another showdown for you. This album appeared in very good shape visually, but as someone said, it sounded awful. This pre-glue sample was recorded AFTER cleaning with an Audioquest brush as well as a Sound Guard pad w/ D4+ fluid. The after Aleene's is just that, after peeling the Aleene's off, without any additional cleaning...

Pre-glue sample (after using an Audioquest brush, and a Sound Guard pad w/ D4+ fluid)

And here it is again after some digital wizardry, not perfect, but pretty close, compared to the first one!

I'm pretty frickin impressed! Hell of a difference.

Back
Top Bottom