Mini audio meet today at frp702003's house

Wardsweb

Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
Well has some major fun today hooking up with one of our newest members, Fernando aka: frp702003. Gotta love a guy (in a manly way) who has a love for audio, home theater and searching pawn shops for gear. A man who has stuff in almost every room and stacks the rest in his garage. Yep, my kind of guy.

First off, what greeted me as I entered the house, his main system, actually two systems.

After listening to his system as is, we hooked up the Shanling via the McIntosh MC240

Now for some comments:

The original audio only system runs the McIntosh pushing the Kilpsch La Scala's. The truth is this system lacks some synergy. I think if he had not had these speakers since college he would not have noticed, but that and he has very good hearing the sound was attacking him. It wasn't a bad sound but a little to bright for my taste.

The swap to the MC240 mellowed the La Scala's and gave us a very smooth tone. Fernando like this and was intrigued by this new sound from his old speakers.

The 2A3 took the speakers to another level. As they say in England, this was spot on. Things clicked and all the sudden it was all there. The tone was perfect, the highs were crisp and detailed without the harshness, the bass was kickin without being boomy. I think it was at this point that Fernando was captivated by this mega seven watt amp. I expect it won't be long before there is a tube amp in his audio only system. :D

Yeah Wards when you adding a bigass HDTV or projector and screen to your HT?

I've always wanted some LaScalas I know by reading reviews they may not have enough low end for me but just looking at them gives me a woody ;)

Back
Top Bottom