SX-650 or SX-3600?

Quad4Life

Hello everyone,

Haven't posted in awhile and glad to be back. Work and family have been keeping me busy. Regarding the subject at hand, I'm looking to add a new (to me) receiver to my collection and have found two for sale locally. One is a SX-650 and the other a SX-3600 with Fluroscan power meter. The sellers are asking $90 and $100(firm), respectively. Both are in great condition, the SX-3600 looks like new from the pictures.

If you had to choose between these two, which one would it be and why? Also, are the prices being asked reasonable for these models?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your advice qprhooligan. I was leaning towards the 3600 because of the coolness factor of the Fluroscan meter. Do you think $100 is reasonable or should I aim low and see if they are willing to negotiate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$100 sounds reasonable. With the rising values of these over the past few years, that's a good deal. eBay would be much higher

In my experience the x5x series will have the warmer sound, deeper bass but as already mentioned the power/speaker selector switch is really problematic on these and not an easy fix. I've had a couple of floroscans (3700,3800). For my ears, I had to add in an EQ on both to get them tuned to my liking.

Thanks Daunia 70 and gbroot for the advice. The listing for the 3600 was just updated with a price of $95. I may offer $90 and see how it goes.

It was my understanding that the x50 series was the last one to use discrete outputs and the x80 series used the STK non-discrete power amps, however it has been forty years and I could be mistaken. I recently turned down an SX580 based on this premise. I have likened the STK equipped units to sounding like MP3s, but thats my personal opinion, and I have many of them. Jim :music:

It was my understanding that the x50 series was the last one to use discrete outputs and the x80 series used the STK non-discrete power amps, however it has been forty years and I could be mistaken. I recently turned down an SX580 based on this premise. I have likened the STK equipped units to sounding like MP3s, but thats my personal opinion, and I have many of them. Jim :music:

My recollection is the same x5x series descrete, x8x series moved to the unobtanium parts.

In college my friend had a SX550. I really like the smooth sound for such a little amp.

I have an SX-650. Before recap it sounded mediocre. After, it's not a bad little set. Nothing fancy, admittedly, but certainly not horrible by any account. It has the STK amp-in-a-can modules. All that was good so it was fairly easy to rebuild. They do run hot and seemingly that reduces the lifespan of the caps.

20131231_174124_W%2025th%20St%2011689624323.jpg

You can see the modules hiding down there, from a photo of the early stages of doing the recap.

Though, personal bias aside, the 3600 would be the better choice. It's less tightly packed, should be easier to work on. Plus, it looks nice and tidy in an early 80's kind of technological way :)

--Phil

Last edited:
A late update: the 3600 sold just before I contacted the seller. What luck. [emoji53]

The only local choices left is the 650 I originally asked about, a SX-580 ($40) and a SX-980 ($475). The 980 is outside my budget right now.

A SX-990 just posted on CL yesterday for $100. I would have to drive 1.5 hours one way to get it, that is if I can get the seller to meet me 2/3 of the way to his location. The original owner is selling it and it has all the manuals and looks great in the picture. Is it worth the $$$ and a 3hr round trip?

Otherwise, I've seen quite a few on the auction site and a few on Goodwill's site within my budget.

Anyone have any advice on the 990 and/or the 580?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited:
A late update: the 3600 sold just before I contacted the seller. What luck. [emoji53]

Anyone have any advice on the 990 and/or the 580?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have both. The 990 hands down. Much warmer sound and a very good tuner.

Thanks for the advice. Everything I've read about the 990 so far has been great. Just emailed the seller. Fingers crossed.

Well, I'm now the proud owner of a one owner SX-990. Picked it up yesterday afternoon. It needs the controls cleaned and lamps replaced for starters and then a recap.

Chatted with owner for a little bit. Really nice guy and said to call if there are any issues. He bought it new in 1972 when he was 17 and he said it was time to part with it. He was happy it was going to someone who would enjoy it as much as he did.

He also said he has a few friends with vintage Pioneer gear that may be for sale soon. He would let me know.

I'll post more pictures as I start tearing into it.

Have a happy and safe Independence Day!

BobbyImageUploadedByTapatalk1436033525.061112.jpg

Back
Top Bottom