Best turntable for under $500 USD

ObscureMusic

I have a Yamaha YP-211 with a Shure M55E cart and it plays fine but I want to get something better but cannot afford top of the line. I can float $500.

Is Thorens still considered the best? I was looking at a TD 166 MKII as a TD 160 is a little too expensive to me.

I have also seen the "Dual" players from Germany but when I review them they always go back to the Thorens.

Any advise would be helpful, also if you can, could you advise on a cart to go with the player.

Is there a "best".. I think there are a lot of great options and it's dependent on what deals come up.. What kind of drive system do you like? Belt, Direct drive or Idler?

You're going to get a lot of opinions based on what people have. I could give you a list of the handful of turntables I've owned... All of which except for a crappy plastic Sony were good performers. But each have their quirks as well as their strengths..

Personally my only choice is a decent used Technics 1200 mkII or higher series TT if you can find one at the right price. Built like a tank, all parts are available for repairs as well as upgrades through KABUSA. If you decide to sell it there's always a buyer waiting to purchase it.

There are some nice SL-1600's on ebay right now for under $200 (If you're in the US that is, otherwise ignore this post) leaving room for a really nice cartridge but I'm bias just because I have a 1600 so take that with a salt cube lol

Last edited:
If you can snag one get a Sony Biotracer, the only problem with mine was the tactile switches got a bit iffy but I replaced them with new ones and the ground wire broke, easy fix.

They are great sounding easy to setup tables and well within your budget.

As for carts, I would go with a moving coil you can pick up some real slightly used bargains, Dynavector, Denon, Benz etc. Become a subscriber and go to Barter Town. Any will be a huge step up from what you are using.

SonyPS-X600_1.JPG

Last edited:
Have to admit if there was a vintage turntable I'd buy at at higher price in excellent condition, the Biotracer would be it. Technics yada yada yada... what Sony was doing back then was something entirely different altogether.

If you can snag one get a Sony Biotracer, the only problem with mine was the tactile switches got a bit iffy but I replaced them with new ones and the ground wire broke, easy fix.

As for carts, I would go with a moving coil you can pick up some real slightly used bargains, Dynavector, Denon, Benz etc. Become a subscriber and go to Barter Town. Any will be a huge step up from what you are using.

SonyPS-X600_1.JPG

Mistake post

Last edited:
I had the semi auto version Sony PS-X500 that I purchased years ago from a local audio store, it was a lightly used new demo table. After 25-30 years of perfect operation I sold it to another AK member who recently reported back it's still working and sounding fine. This was the last of the really good Sony tables.

I would also recommend the Sony which is easily under your price range.

I just picked up a Sony PS-X600 in like-new condition locally, and find it terrific sounding, and so easy to use. It's a great turntable for someone like myself who hasn't been into vinyl since the mid 80's. :thmbsp:

Go with the force Luke! Trust your instincts and your initial research. Yes! Those Duals, specifically the 1229, are about the only thing that's left under the radar. The German auction site lists them from time to time and they may sell for ~$250. The rest is expensive shipping. Still in budget.

Haha thanks. I think I will go with a Thorens or Dual. Then it's just finding the correct cart.

I just bought a Lenco L70 for $300 plus shipping (also search Bogen B62 - rebadged Lenco).. In there stock form they are supposed to be good... But according to various sources they have the potential to be upgraded to supposedly one of the best tables available for any price.. Upgrades include building a massive heavy plinth, changing the idler wheel to a metal one. and obviously cleaning up motor etc (You should do this with many tables anyway). Perhaps changing the tonearm (although stock is supposed to sound very good). This is all from what I've read, don't get it until tomorrow... The Lencos still fly under the radar to some extent in comparison to Thorens and Garrard.

Just throwing this out there. Currently I have a Denon with a similar arm to the Sony biotracer and it is very good.

The reason I bought the Lenco is I wanted to get in on idler tables before the prices climbed to high and it is easy to piecemeal upgrade.

Last edited:
Here is the thing why I would choose the SL-1200. Total reliability. Yes a vintage BMW is more fun to drive but when things break and parts can't be found it's just a giant paper weight.
In contrast, a slightly older Toyota will get you every where.

If there's a slightly older Toyota, it's a not a vintage beamer. Is there a totally reliable SL-1200 for less than $500 as the topic of this thread queries?

Is there an X600 lasts as long as the SL-1200 for $500?
I actually don't mind selling my Y5F for $500 lol.

SonyPS-X600_1.JPG

winner!!! ding ding ding!!! i find the biotracers are a big step from anything in that vintage around or under $500.

my existing collection sound significantly better and immediately noticeable even when i installed the same cart from my old table.

I have no idea what shape you could a 1200II in in the US. Here it´s no brainer, that is what I would choose, without any doubt. But I´m not the OP. I got mine for 250Euros, and that was including a new arm.

Last edited:
On BT there is a NYC based seller selling an AR The Turntable for $400 or slightly more with an upgraded cartridge. If I were closer I would already have bought that TT personally. When time and money allow send it off to Marc for some further tuning and I imagine you are hard pressed to find a better sounding TT or one with such classic beauty, sold build, easy upgrade path and simply a joy to look at and listen to. But I am prejudice for sure.

Back
Top Bottom