Going Digital!

Well I'm down loading Eric Bibb right now....Double DSD. And I've not found a DSD 64 sounding better than 128

If anyone wants to know how to convert PCM into DSD on the fly using Foobar2000 (free!): https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/digital/pc-software/foobar-2000-for-dummies-part-2/

Further to the above link, I've noted I was hearing little pops perhaps owing to the lack of CPU horsepower since I'm working on my computer at the same time.

The following little tick solved the problem:

foobar_zps7upiib0q.jpg

Dunno if anyone else uses Foobar for DSD conversion on the fly but anyway...!

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2014/04/analysis-comparison-of-dsd-encoders.html

Interesting read about software.....

The one software listed, Weiss Saracon DSD - price - http://vintageking.com/weiss-saracon-dsd OW!!

But this is also professional level software - for the recording studio....

Which I also have on my laptop. Just learning how to use it, but I converted a nice flac recording to DFF today. Played back through JRMC and the iDSD Nano it sounded pretty sweet. The program is pretty fast too. It converts at just a few minutes per song.

o_Oh,

And by the way..........., I'm digging this album as well:

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/take-one

And music is floating near the heavens as I stare at the ceiling in awe, is it just me, or do some of these recordings capture the very essence of ones soul within the first few seconds?. Weird eh?.

Hey guys,

I'm merely wondering if any of you whom own the iUSB Power are considering said UpTone Audio Regen Amber and have compared them for yourselves or in a friends system?, and what's your thoughts on both?.

Lastly - what's the purist format for ripping CDs or converting files that you all have tried?, as someone whom is tied to Apple products, I'm able to use AIFF - ALAC and WAV, but was wondering what's the most popular means as far as music lovers might be?.

As always, hopefully this thread can manage to go on for awhile longer, as it has proven quite a learning process for yours truly.

Until next time.......

Lastly - what's the purist format for ripping CDs or converting files that you all have tried?, as someone whom is tied to Apple products, I'm able to use AIFF - ALAC and WAV, but was wondering what's the most popular means as far as music lovers might be?.

If Exact Audio Copy works with Apple products I would give it a strong recommendation. It's a freeware product that's pretty versatile. I used it (with Windows machines) to rip my entire CD collection to a hard drive & didn't have any problems - as long as the CD itself wasn't too scratched or blemished for the software to make a copy, in which case the CD wouldn't play on its own anyway.

If Exact Audio Copy works with Apple products I would give it a strong recommendation. It's a freeware product that's pretty versatile. I used it (with Windows machines) to rip my entire CD collection to a hard drive & didn't have any problems - as long as the CD itself wasn't too scratched or blemished for the software to make a copy, in which case the CD wouldn't play on its own anyway.

Thanks for sharing, as I shall definitely look into Exact Audio Copy.

Be well.

Lastly - what's the purist format for ripping CDs or converting files that you all have tried?

WAV. Flac is fine and I know the 1's & 0's theory thing says it's completely transparent but I think I might hear a little difference at times with flac and if you don't care about a little extra disk space and potential tagging issues (which I haven't noticed for some reason), why go through an extra conversion/compression stage?

Where I think 'conversion' makes sense is when your DAC might do a better job of converting to analog with another format - like DSD128 - and that conversion is best done at time of playing with those wav files as source. (at least with the software I have experience with)

I use AIFF over WAV simply because there is no tagging standard for WAV. Not to say it can't be done, though.

Hey guys,

I'm merely wondering if any of you whom own the iUSB Power are considering said UpTone Audio Regen Amber and have compared them for yourselves or in a friends system?, and what's your thoughts on both?.

As always, hopefully this thread can manage to go on for awhile longer, as it has proven quite a learning process for yours truly.

Until next time.......

First, Big Guy!:

I rip everything DSD 128. That's just me. I have few files that aren't DSD 128...had them before I knew way around this medium.I have Micro configured to play my files in whatever form they are in...and 95% is DSD 128. I also would rather purchase CD's from Ebay rather than download unless entire album stinks, cept song I like.

Second:

this thing, the REGEN plugs into the usb port of your DAC, and your USB cable would come out the back side into your source. What it does is cut off the digital stream coming from the computer and regenerates it and gives you a better stream of digital into your DAC and out to preamp. I thought my friend had a darker back ground, but I really don't know as I don't hear his system day in and day out. He really didn't say much about it as we listen to music. But what I do know, if your computers digital stream from the computer is not great or average, the Regen will clean it up and give a better stream into your dac.

My Friend, I would say, really didn't hear to much of an improvement because he has a custom built fan-less computer that he built himself with quality parts in side. So he may not have as big an improvement if any at all.

Like said above, He may have had a darker back ground due to Regen also cleaning power. But I really don't know...but I do believe he has a few Paul Pang products like the CD Tray and USB ports in his custom computer, so I really don't know if the effect of the REGEN was night and day.....The Lampizator Big 7 is quality....but one never knows...next time I speak with him I will mention its performance in his system.

But I could use one as I have a HP computer,not custom, so I know I don't have the best digital signal. So the Regen will work for those who have a computer off shelf or those that don't have quality audiophile parts to begin with.

It would seem the iUSB power which does same thing in cutting off computers 5v dirty power and adding its own cleaner 5v would work great with the Regen in cleaning power. But those who have both have been removing one in favor of other. I've read a few accounts saying iUSB power's better and others the opposite. But seeing the job of iUSB is only to clean 5v, and Regen has 2 jobs...cleaning 5v as well as data signal, I would leave both in system.....unless its to much of a good thing, and in said case its really a bad thing.

Last edited:
Looks like the new iFI iDAC-2 DSD DAC has finally landed!

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idac2/

Price: $379.00 Musicdirect
iFi iDAC 2 DSD DAC/Headphone Amplifier and iFi USB iPurifier Bundle

SPECIAL LAUNCH BUNDLE: for the first 500 sold worldwide, the iDAC2 includes an iPurifier at a special bundle price of US$379 (ex-tax) or Euro429/£315 (incl VAT).

3kshop-ifi-idac2.png

A little confused? Don't worry, here's the differences.

Last edited:
This thread is an inspiring read with a lot of information to take in. I can't lie, I haven't read it all but it has pushed me to venture further into the digital realm.

Where previously I had a small amount of HD tracks that I would play via flash drives I am now upping the anti using a MacBook Air with a 500 gig ssd. I'm using a USB to input to my oppo 105d and utilizing Audirvana Plus as my player.

Looking forward to the journey. :music:

Thanks Billfort/JP,

It's nice to have assistance from you guys whom have spend time with these things enough to offer solid advise, to which I'm most grateful. I'll try both, as I've noticed that AIFF and WAV take up the exact same amount of MBs, so I guess it a matter of listening to each more carefully.

Apple and FLAC don't seem to be an option, unless I'm missing something?, which is why of late I've been converting my older files over to ALAC as opposed to the standard ACC format, as it sounds truer to my ears.

Once again, thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom