MCS 3222 stereo receiver help

Tucson Mon

Hi I just picked up an MCS 3222 today and am having a hard time finding information on the web about it.

I just finished hooking it up, and am getting only faint sound from the speakers. Even with the volume turned all the way up. I didn't get a chance to listen when I picked it up, but the lady said she was using it the day before to demo some speakers she was selling.

I hooked up my speakers to the A Left and Right. There are also B Left and Right, as well as a Left and Right Rear set of speaker plugins.

I can select, A, B, A+B Matrix, and then the knob goes one more click, so I wasn't sure what that did either.

If anyone has any info on this receiver, or can help out I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for the help,

-J

I've had that problem with really faint sound and the cause was the tape monitor switch being in the "ON" position. I don't have the MCS 3222 but it's pretty common these monitor switches.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tapemon.jpg
    tapemon.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 130
Glad you found a receiver, I agree with loopstick, check the tape monitor switch. Just be sure to turn the volume WAY down first. :)

I have a MCS 3248, they are nice, I am sure yours will not disappoint.

That was the problem! So I was able to listen to about 5 minutes of music before I left for work, at a very low level, so i cant wait to get home here in a bit and crank it up :)

Overall the stereo sounds fantastic. The only thing I've noticed is a slight scratchiness in the sound when turning cetain knobs, but it's pretty minor.

On the back I have speaker inputs for A Left and Right, B Left and Right, and Rear Left and Right.

I thought the B speakers were for rears, so can anyone help explain this to me?

The only thing I've noticed is a slight scratchiness in the sound when turning cetain knobs

Those certain knobs ( controls/switches) are dirty and need to be cleaned internally.

Overall the stereo sounds fantastic. The only thing I've noticed is a slight scratchiness in the sound when turning cetain knobs, but it's pretty minor.

On the back I have speaker inputs for A Left and Right, B Left and Right, and Rear Left and Right.

I thought the B speakers were for rears, so can anyone help explain this to me?

Use this thread to understand how to clean your dirty (scratchy) controls:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

As for the speaker hook ups, this receiver has both "A" and "B" hookups for the front channels. It also has hookups for "rear" channel speakers. The rear channels are a simple Hafler circuit that add ambiance and "behind the stage" effects to your listening room. It's an early effort of surround sound, but very simple - and part cool - part gimmick. I had it on my MCS 3212, 3233, and 3245. It's fun to play around with.

No problem - I have info. on the 3223 - the model that replaced the 3222 around 1979.

The last digits of the model number represent the power output. So your 3222 is 22 watts per channel. The 23 watt per channel 3223 has the following specs (your's should be identical except for the one less watt per channel):

23 watts per channel at 8 ohms from 40-20k Hz with no more than 0.9% total harmonic distortion.

Phono response of 20-20k Hz +/- 3dB, with a signal to noise ratio of 84dB

FM Tuner section specs:
Frequency response of 15-15k Hz
Usable sensitivity 2.5uv
Capture Ratio 2.5dB
Image rejection 45dB
Stereo Separation 40dB
Quieting Sensitivity 4uv
Total Harmonic Distortion 0.25% Mono 0.5% Stereo

AM Tuner section specs:
Sensitivity (UV/M) 350
Selectivity (dB) 30
Signal to Noise Ratio 32dB

It was designed by Arvin corp. in the US, and built for JCPenney in Taiwan.

Not a powerhouse, by any means, but a cool entry receiver. My first "real" receiver was the 3212. Just 12 watts per channel, but it sounded great.

Happy listening. :music:

That's awesome man, thanks for the info. So far the stereo just sounds great, couldn't really ask for more from a 35 yr old entry level stereo. I have it paired with some white van speakers I was given, and I've barely touched on what it can deliver.

Do you have any more info on the Matrix setting that is available with this receiver?

Here are a few links to more info on the Hafler circuit used in your Matrix setting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafler_circuit

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthrea...r-Surround-Sound-quot-does-it-work-If-so-why-!

http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/18552/18567

If you find that you like the effect, but don't need a full-on modern surround sound type of effect, try something like a NEC AV-300, or AV-350. These were surround sound integrated amps from the mid 80s - so they are considered obsolete by today's standards, yet have a wonderful type of Matrix surround sound (in addition to the early form of Dolby Surround). NEC used a proprietary circuit for it's Matrix effect (so it's more complicated than the Hafler circuit), and it is in stereo, and of a very high quality. I use it, and it really adds to the listening experience - almost enveloping you in a deep sound stage. I've tried other quasi surround modes in other surround receivers, but the NEC's is the best one I've found. It works great for music, TV, and movies.

Glad it was the monitor switch...cheap and easy. The best kind of fixes.
It does sound like the controls might need cleaning.

The talk about the matrix reminded me...my first kinda real (or not) receiver was a JC Penney fm/am stereo tuner amplifier (with matrix capability). A really big name for an entry level product.
Model no. 3201.
7.3 wpc RMS (10%) I assume that's 7.3 wpc at 10% *gasp* distortion.
Bought it new in early 1976.
It's hooked to a light timer and serves as my alarm clock.
After almost 40 years it's still working and waking me up 5 times a week.

Oh dear, goodolpg, you are going to be the death of me. You just jogged my memory, and I dug out my 3201. I had no idea of it's specs (or age) - kinda forgot I had it, but it sounds great through headphones. I like the Made in Japan quality of it. I've never hooked speakers up to mine, but now see the hookups for matrix. I'm guessing the phono hookup is ceramic only?

My alarm clock is (surprise, surprise) also from JC Penney. It's a model 3814, and has a red LED clock with AM/FM stereo radio - from late 1977. It works better than my original Sears COM-TREK II stereo clock radio from the same year - it's touch sensitive controls go wonky after all these years.

I have the original manual (pamphlet is more like it). If you want more specs for it let me know.
"Ceramic or crystal cartridge only" according to the manual.
I've only seen a couple of those show up on ebay.
But I'm not constantly searching for them either.

That one model I mentioned I was interested in...I AM constantly checking for one of those now.
Nothing. Zip. Nada.

You're a great source for MCS knowledge and help here Rob.

I have the original manual (pamphlet is more like it). If you want more specs for it let me know.
"Ceramic or crystal cartridge only" according to the manual.
I've only seen a couple of those show up on ebay.
But I'm not constantly searching for them either.

That one model I mentioned I was interested in...I AM constantly checking for one of those now.
Nothing. Zip. Nada.

You're a great source for MCS knowledge and help here Rob.

I stumbled upon mine a few years back on ebay. Cost a whole dollar, plus shipping. I can't imagine a lot of these are left in the wild, although the build quality is so nice for a low level model. The separate bass and treble controls, along with a loudness button, led me to think it would sound good. Glad I got it.

Back
Top Bottom