MX130 to replace Bryston BP26 preamp and MR7083

andyo5

I currently own a Bryston BP26 preamp with MM phono, and a MR7083. I am considering replacing them with a MX130 (early version with balanced outputs) in a 2 channel system. Do you think I'd be stepping up, or down, or sideways in terms of sound quality?
I do use the phono section, with a Roksan Xerxes turntable. My power amp is a Bryston 3B-ST.
Thanks.

Last edited:
The MR7083 is the same tuner as the MX130. If you don't need the space, keep the tuner and get a C39 instead. There were two versions of the C39 as well.

I don't know if it will sound any better or not, but my MX130 sure sounds fantastic. What you gain is a bunch of inputs, and that variable loudness control. I have the earlier version myself.

The MR7083 is the same tuner as the MX130. If you don't need the space, keep the tuner and get a C39 instead. There were two versions of the C39 as well.
I just remembered, the 7083 can only be operated in remote control with certain preamps and I don't think the C39 is on the list. Get the MX130. I love mine.

My previous pre-amp was a C39. It was a great pre and had a nice sounding phono , I also liked the variable loudness control, especially for late night listening.

Well, I did buy the MX130 on Ebay. It should be here this week sometime.
It was listed as 'mint', has the THX card in it, and included factory box and manuals.
After finding out that there was no battery backup for the tuner presets (as there IS in my MR7083), I became a bit concerned as to whether I made the right choice. But after reading some very positive comments here and elsewhere regarding this unit, and after reading some more about its capabilities and functionality; I'm getting psyched in anticipation of its arrival. I intend to set it up in a temporary location, hook up the outputs to the power amp and subwoofer as well as inputs from a CD player and phono, and test it for a while against my current preamp. I do like the idea of remote selection of tumer presets and possibility of controlling some of my other components from this unit. Plus the possibility of adding a center channel, using the high pass for my main speakers, etc.

Well, I did buy the MX130 on Ebay. It should be here this week sometime.
It was listed as 'mint', has the THX card in it, and included factory box and manuals.
After finding out that there was no battery backup for the tuner presets (as there IS in my MR7083), I became a bit concerned as to whether I made the right choice. But after reading some very positive comments here and elsewhere regarding this unit, and after reading some more about its capabilities and functionality; I'm getting psyched in anticipation of its arrival. I intend to set it up in a temporary location, hook up the outputs to the power amp and subwoofer as well as inputs from a CD player and phono, and test it for a while against my current preamp. I do like the idea of remote selection of tumer presets and possibility of controlling some of my other components from this unit. Plus the possibility of adding a center channel, using the high pass for my main speakers, etc.
It also has a separate subwoofer output.

Did you get the remote control with it. That could be $50-$75 extra if not. Enjoy it!

It also has a separate subwoofer output.

Did you get the remote control with it. That could be $50-$75 extra if not. Enjoy it!

Yes. Remote was included which seems like an OK deal.
I will try the subwoofer output. But my current sub is programmable, and can be tailored to blend with the mains and compensate for room issues. So I may end up running the sub from the front RCAs and using the balanced outputs for the amplifier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it arrived this morning and I have set it up for listening tests.
So far the results are VERY positive. I have listened to phono, CD, FM, and AM radio. It looks new and sounds fantastic. I think it is a keeper.
Now I will need to sell my BP26 and MR7083.

Well, it arrived this morning and I have set it up for listening tests.
So far the results are VERY positive. I have listened to phono, CD, FM, and AM radio. It looks new and sounds fantastic. I think it is a keeper.
Now I will need to sell my BP26 and MR7083.

I loved mine so much that I bought an MX-119 for the living room HT/ 2 Channel.

How are you getting AM? I hate having to use the special RIAA Mac antenna ($100!)

bob

I loved mine so much that I bought an MX-119 for the living room HT/ 2 Channel.

How are you getting AM? I hate having to use the special RIAA Mac antenna ($100!)

bob
Everytime I want to listen to AM whether it be a Mac, shortwave or radio I'm restoring, I have to run around the house and turn off every CFL and light dimmer. I'm always listening in a dark house. :D

I am listening to AM with the loopstick antenna. Reception is good with only a few channels. I know that Mc sold something called the RAA1 for units made after this. Will it work with the MX130? I assumed that it would not.
The customer service line at Mc told me that the unit had to be purposely designed to use that antenna.

If you need a solid state McIntosh preamp with a remote, the MX130/C39 are the best bang for the buck. You have to spend a crap load of money to get something better, or settle for something without a remote. Are you going to keep your amp, or are you getting the itch for some big blue meters.

I am listening to AM with the loopstick antenna. Reception is good with only a few channels. I know that Mc sold something called the RAA1 for units made after this. Will it work with the MX130? I assumed that it would not.
The customer service line at Mc told me that the unit had to be purposely designed to use that antenna.

Sorry, I was thinking of my MX-119 that needs that RAA1.

bob

If you need a solid state McIntosh preamp with a remote, the MX130/C39 are the best bang for the buck. You have to spend a crap load of money to get something better, or settle for something without a remote. Are you going to keep your amp, or are you getting the itch for some big blue meters.

I have a Brystom 3B-ST in good shape. It is a good amp, but I am considering a McIntosh unit to replace it at some point.

I am ecstatic! I was given to believe that my MX130 was unable to retain preset memory if power was disconnected. In fact, the MX130 manual that I downloaded from Berniers explicitly said so. But the hard copy manual that came with my unit says the opposite, that memory will be retained. I have tested my unit to see if this was true. It is!
This an unexpected development and I am not sure why the discrepancy exists but I am very happy that I won't have to re-program up to 50 presets if I have a power outage or need to move the unit. I am also surprised to find that 50 preset settings are available. I am lovin' this unit. Even my wife likes it.

I am ecstatic! I was given to believe that my MX130 was unable to retain preset memory if power was disconnected. In fact, the MX130 manual that I downloaded from Berniers explicitly said so. But the hard copy manual that came with my unit says the opposite, that memory will be retained. I have tested my unit to see if this was true. It is!
This an unexpected development and I am not sure why the discrepancy exists but I am very happy that I won't have to re-program up to 50 presets if I have a power outage or need to move the unit. I am also surprised to find that 50 preset settings are available. I am lovin' this unit. Even my wife likes it.
I have a bound copy of the owner's manual for the version 1 unit (Balanced inputs). It states 8 FM and 8 AM presets. It also states presets will be lost if power is lost. I cannot find a publication date for this manual. The second generation unit has a lot more presets available.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the back of my unit. It has balanced outputs. I assume this means first generation. Definately fifty presets and holds them while power is out. I could scan the page of my manual that says so, if it would help.

Here is a photo of the back of my unit. It has balanced outputs. I assume this means first generation. Definately fifty presets and holds them while power is out. I could scan the page of my manual that says so, if it would help.

Nice dw drums!

:)

Back
Top Bottom