Phenolic ring tweeter repair

bzb882

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I picked up a pair of Marantz Imperial 7 speakers with the 4 ohm phenolic ring tweeters. They test good, but both have broken dust caps and tears in the paper cones. I carefully removed the dust caps (pretty sure I have replacements on hand) and the voice coils look fine. Is there anything I can glue over the cones that will seal them and at least look presentable (the backs of these are sealed so repair from the back is not possible)? I’ve heard where someone uses nylon stocking material with a dilute glue solution that is reapplied over the nylon when dry….

If you can get the edges back together on the rip, use an instant glue (Krazy glue) on the cone. It will bind the tear together, and soak into the paper for a permanent repair.

How about a pic or two? :yes:

I ended up just using glue, the paper was too fragile to do otherwise. I plan on applying another thin coat tonight and that should do it.

I like water thinned Elmers white glue for this on paper.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I've just scored a pair of Imperial 5's. One of the tweeters has a small tear in the cone. The other is perfect. Parts express has replacements for 8 ohms but not for 4 ohms.

Did you manage to repair yours? Would be great if you post some pictures.

Thanks
Mayank

Back
Top Bottom