Is the AR XA the Fender Telecaster of TT’s?

I think the argument of leaving vintage audio gear in it's original state is flawed.

It depends on what your intention is.

If you want to keep something in its original, stock condition because its significance as a collector's item trumps practical concerns, then that is a reasonable concern. (I wouldn't replace the strings on John Lennon's Rickenbackers, but a '70s Japanese "lawsuit" copy guitar is fair game for modding.)

But if you are looking at it as a platform for improving performance, without concerns about compromising value, then modding makes sense. This is especially relevant to an AR-XA, of which zillions were produced and many still exist in stock form.

Last edited:

If you want to keep something in its original, stock condition because its significance as a collector's item trumps practical concerns, then that is a reasonable concern. (I wouldn't replace the strings on John Lennon's Rickenbackers, but a '70s Japanese "lawsuit" copy guitar is fair game for modding.)

But if you are looking at it as a platform for improving performance, without concerns about compromising value, then modding makes sense. This is especially relevant to an AR-XA, of which zillions were produced and many still exist in stock form.

Telecasters are a good modding platform. As long as yours isn't a collector's item from the 50s or 60s, go for it.

Hell, Fender itself "modded" the original design through the years. String trees changed, bridge saddles changed, pickguard changed to three layer, the fretboard changed to rosewood, tuners changed, etc., etc. The damn thing's been fiddled with since it was born. And now there are what seems like dozens of versions of the design you can buy.

I never really got into them myself, and now I only play Gretsch--the Empire turntable of guitars.

If you actually play a 40+ year old telecaster, you will need your frets dressed and eventually need a refret. There are many grades of fret wire, and some claim some (more $) wire is better. Why not upgrade to something modern?

There are other things playing wear does to a guitar. And nuts get brittle and crack, tuners can be improved, etc. And I hope your strings aren't original.
You are correct on it needing a refret. I need one.

The nut is fine, tuners are staying, strings get replaced often.

so yes, most vintage things need updating if they are being used.

Well stated. My point on the audio gear was to keep it safe to operate at a minimum.

I have a '62 Tenny! :thmbsp:

Very nice. My only vintage Gretsch is a Clipper from around then. Got any binding rot?

Here it is, with my true joy front and center, a 2009 MIJ Country Club G6196 in gray/purple. See, the gold hardware is already getting a little worn, just like an Empire.

Attachments

• DSCF2544.jpg
    DSCF2544.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 13
Got any binding rot?

Nope, not at all! My guitar is in remarkably clean original condition. Jim Mouradian recently gave it a thorough set-up too, complete with a fret dressing, etc. It's an exceptional example.

Supposedly the Gretsch guitars made after February 9th 1964 are more likely to have issues with binding rot and other problems, as the factory was having a hard time keeping up with the demand and quality control went out the door.

Here it is, with my true joy front and center, a 2009 MIJ Country Club G6196 in gray/purple. See, the gold hardware is already getting a little worn, just like an Empire.

The MIJ Gretsches are said to be top quality instruments, possibly better than the originals. That one is pretty sharp! :thmbsp:

Nope, not at all! My guitar is in remarkably clean original condition. Jim Mouradian recently gave it a thorough set-up too, complete with a fret dressing, etc. It's an exceptional example.

Supposedly the Gretsch guitars made after February 9th 1964 are more likely to have issues with binding rot and other problems, as the factory was having a hard time keeping up with the demand and quality control went out the door.

The MIJ Gretsches are said to be top quality instruments, possibly better than the originals. That one is pretty sharp! :thmbsp:

Thanks. Your Tenny looks super, too--just love that color, and the nitro looks to have aged very beautifully. I like Hi-LoTrons a lot.

My Clipper has a bit of the rot but I kind of like it. Authenticity only time and bad glue can create. The Club is fantastic, all original and unmodded right down to the impossible Melita bridge.

There's something to the Empire/Gretsch comparison. Both New York manufacture and history--big, fancy, classy, a bit eccentric. I see a 598 in my future.

Thanks. Your Tenny looks super, too--just love that color, and the nitro looks to have aged very beautifully. I like Hi-LoTrons a lot.

Heck, c'mon over sometime and play it! I'm in Lexington.

There's something to the Empire/Gretsch comparison. Both New York manufacture and history

Yeah, but one was in Brooklyn and the other in Queens. :D

Heck, c'mon over sometime and play it! I'm in Lexington.

Yeah, but one was in Brooklyn and the other in Queens. :D

Sounds fun! We should do it some time... I wish I could finally make the Clinton gathering this year and meet some more of the fellas. But there's always something coming up.

I just love having a Brooklyn Gretsch, even if it is a lowly and thrashed Clipper. The thing's gathered and distilled the smells of a thousand old bars. Forget playing it, sniffing it is a remarkable experience.

I just love having a Brooklyn Gretsch, even if it is a lowly and thrashed Clipper. The thing's gathered and distilled the smells of a thousand old bars. Forget playing it, sniffing it is a remarkable experience.

I like the way you think! :thmbsp:

I think the perception that the AR Turntable design is flawed because of it's simplicity tends to overlook the design objective.

It would seem that the intended criteria for design by Ed Villchure and his design team were substantially met; those being; use well understood principles of physics to abrogate the need for "add on's", and to make the turntable affordable.

This would include the motor(s), especially with regard to wow and rumble.

With regard to standard headshells, especially during the design development period (which would predate 1961), it may well have been a toss-up as to what would become "the standard headshell".

Remember that many U.S. buyers were suspicious of Japanese goods at the time. There was a lot of "buy American" not foreign in those times (just like now).

I think the perception that the AR Turntable design is flawed because of it's simplicity tends to overlook the design objective.

It would seem that the intended criteria for design by Ed Villchure and his design team were substantially met; those being; use well understood principles of physics to abrogate the need for "add on's", and to make the turntable affordable.

This would include the motor(s), especially with regard to wow and rumble.

With regard to standard headshells, especially during the design development period (which would predate 1961), it may well have been a toss-up as to what would become "the standard headshell".

Remember that many U.S. buyers were suspicious of Japanese goods at the time. There was a lot of "buy American" not foreign in those times (just like now).

:thmbsp:

I

Serious question, when did the 1/2 inch headshell became the standard (approximately)? :scratch2:

Methinks that's a good question. KentTeffeteller gave a start point in Post #27. When it became mainstream is ???

Back
Top Bottom