Today's classical playlist

RichPA

Don't drive angry
Subscriber
Much as I enjoy the "xxxday Tunes" threads, only rarely do I see posts about anyone listening to classical music. So I thought I'd try starting a similar thread for classical music to see if anyone's interested.

I'm starting this Saturday morning with Ernest Bloch, Symphony in C sharp minor and "Schelomo" performed by the Malmo Symphony Orchestra/Markiz

Anyone else?

Excellent! replies already

Prokofiev - Symphonies 1 & 3 - Philadelphia Orchestra/Muti

Rob, thanks for the link!

I don't listen to classical that often but one of the last LP's on the table last night was Heifetz playing Beethoven's Violin Concerto, RCA LSC-1992 pressing. Amazing playing of piece I just love with incredible sonics.

I have the first 10 SACD's of the RCA Living Stereo re-releases to go through but things keep getting in the way and I have to be in the mood for classical and prefer to listen to it for extended periods, maybe this weekend.

I woke up too late to catch the early bird classical music on NPR...of my LP's, 90% is all classical...mainly because when I got into gear, I wanted good sounding LP's...I am becoming a big fan of the eastern european LP's like Supraphon, Qualiton, Hungaroton, etc etc,,,,

Today's playlist as my GF gets her A$$ out of bed will be : I dont know yet....I may start with some classical guitar/lute music...

As I've gotten older, I'm branching out more into other musical genres, and classical is a huge new world. I've discovered that I love Bach organ works especially, and some operas, especially Wagner. I don't own a lot, though, because I listen to classical on FM, especially the evening stuff on WJMJ (88.9 Hartford CT) or WNPR/Connecticut Public Radio (90.5 Meriden CT), and at this point in my life I think that it's a bit overwhelming for me to narrow things down to certain CD's or LP's. It makes for sensational background music.
Tom

Last night (Saturday morning actually) I finished with:

Shostakovich Symphony Nos 5 & 9

Concertgebouw Orchestra for No. 5
London Philharmonic Orchestra for No. 9

Both conducted by Bernard Haitink

Decca 425 066-2

This is a good idea btw. I listen to classical music all the time but rarely post it.

Last edited:
First up this morning - a collection of chamber music by Saint-Saens, performed by The Nash Ensemble

Glanville-Hicks - Etruscan Concerto; Harrison - Seven Pastorales; Riley - Juhn Buddhas - Brooklyn Philharmonic/Russell Davies with Keith Jarrett on piano

Rich- thanks for starting the thread. Love Glanville-Hicks stuff. Very unknown. Classical FM rules if you have a good signal and a creative programmer.

Sibelius Symphony going right now on Kansas Public Radio, didn't catch which one. Listening from a Sansui TU-717 tuner, Fisher X-100-C tube amp, and Sennheiser HD-650 headphones. Sumptuous. :D

My favorite time of the week is Saturday night when KPR plays film scores. Not quite pure classical, but as close as it gets in modern times.

Last edited:
Yes, I love finding little-known classical stuff. Now listening to George Frederick McKay - Violin Concerto, etc. - National Radio Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine/John McLaughlin Williams

btw, it's Rich, not Pete ..

Back
Top Bottom