Pioneer SX-850, SX-950, SX-1050, SX-1250 Receiver - LED lights replacement

nevermind

I'm still trying to get a closer match in appearance and color to the original incandescent for those amber lamp lenses.

Have had much better results with the sx-3x00 series and sx-d5000 / d7000 units.

Last edited:
I'm having Mattsd restore a 1250 that currently has 7v bulbs, they burn a little hotter, and I like the look, but he assures me that the LED is better all around.

Anyone have any pics?

I think, from what I can ascertain, I'm liking the vintage look more than this.

If the original bulbs were good for 10-20 years, that's plenty for me. And if I remember correctly, in the Pioneer SX line, they're pretty easy to get to and replace.

Think I'll tell Mattsd to keep the 7v bulbs my other buddy put in. It looks fantastic.

If you want amber colored LEDs you can try White LED's with a low color temp, 2700 to 3000K. The lower the number = more red light. Most white LED's have too much blue light(5-10K) unless that is what you want. Since many LED's have clear lenses, try to use some 400 grid paper to polish the lens, so that you can diffuse the light more. Look for a LED with a lens beam width as wide as you can get >30degrees.
Or for the selector/speaker annunciators, you can use amber LEDs instead of above.

been poking at various amber/yellow leds.

or 2000k white...if it ever exists...

I think the only way to get a LED at 2000K is to use a RGB type and PWM (current limit) for that colour temp, if it is obtainable. I have never seen a white LED at 2000K, seems impossible knowing that you have a such a strong blue (~450nm) source that would bleed through the phosphor coatings.
Blending multiple colors (yellow-amber-red) maybe the way to go as you suggest to mimic a incandescent source.

I think that color temperature is pretty close, just need to play with resistors. I was using 400R resistors, so maybe 600R - 800R would give it more original look.

Leds are a rather narrow emission spectrum, glaze color will just reduce brightness without shifting hue appreciably.

I think the only way to get a LED at 2000K is to use a RGB type and PWM (current limit) for that colour temp, if it is obtainable...

Blending multiple colors (yellow-amber-red) maybe the way to go as you suggest to mimic a incandescent source.

That's been my guess as well. I have been thinking that even the Radio Shack version might work well enough with a fairly wide angle, appropriate size, and diffused lens:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3020765

What MIGHT be easiest would be to install a 5V regulator and ribbon cable the LEDs together, then select appropriate resistors for each color to achieve the final desired output. Someone truly over-the-top might even breadboard trimpots and make the array color adjustable instead of trial/error resistor installation.

Back
Top Bottom