Klipsch Quartet improvements

Kahoona

Hi
I have a set of 4 Quartets that I got some time ago with the intention of flipping and I liked them so much that I kept all 4 of them as my main speakers. I decided that I want to spruce them up a bit and ordered 4 new Ti diaphragms from Bob Crites. I have replaced Klipsch with Crites before and the difference is well worth the money. I was going to have a look and see if the crossovers had any Electrolytics that could be replaced too and I pulled the crossovers and saw what looks like a set of Solens in there and one electrolytic that would bee for the woofer. I can't find pics of original crossovers to see what they had. Searching gives no caplist for these. Are these original of have I lucked out and gotten recapped crossovers?

These Quartets came from a man who had bought three pairs of them at different times so one of my pairs is older than the other. I pulled the crossover of the older pair and they were the same!

Since I cannot find any instructions for replacing the tweeter diaphragms I'll post them here. It is so simple that anyone can do it.Someone may have posted this before and not put in keywords but here goes. Tools I used- screwdriver, adjustable or monkey wrench and cup of espresso. The new parts come in a very secure box that will be used to store the originals in case someone someday feels the need for originality.
The tweeter
Remove the screws from around the tweeter horn and be prepared for it to fall partway out.
Note where the leads go.
The horn tweeter
Remove the 3 nuts from the driver at the rear of the horn. Mine seemed as if it may have had something on it to keep the nuts from unscrewing but they came off with little trouble.
Lift off the old trying to come straight up to prevent damage to the voice coil.
Blow out the voice coil gap carefully with a little compressed air then carefully lower the new part in keeping it level.
From there it is easy. Seat the horn carefully on the driver assembly and replace the nuts. I use a drop of blue locking compound. Place the assembled tweeter back in place and hold with a finger to keep it from falling out while the first screw goes in followed by the rest.
Since mine are stacked one atop the other with the tweeters together I had a simple time of comparing. I used Bebel Gilberto's album of the same name. The difference was immediately apparent. The high range portions of the music were clearer and louder and seemed cleaner with no sign of ringing overtones. I am very pleased. Since my old ears need all of the upper range help they can get this will really put new life in the Quartets!

Back
Top Bottom