Advent 350?

TAGO MAGO

Anybody familiar with the Advent 350 receiver? There are tons of pages dedicated to the Advent 300, but nothing on the 350. Any reason for that? Mine sounds great when working properly. I have an intermittent left channel which I have been trying to trace down it's cause. When I get time I am going to go through it with a fine tooth comb.

Attachments

• advent 350 smalll.jpg
    advent 350 smalll.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 354
Deox-it all switches,controls and connecter pins in the left channel signal path starting at the input RCA jacks to the speaker outputs..Check solder connections on the RCA jacks.

I can't find a darn thing on that anywhere. 300? Sure. 400? Yup. 350? Nope. And like Brian says, never heard of it or seen it before. A rare beast, apparently.
Tom

Very cool. I lust for an Advent receiver.

There is a Advent 350 for sale in Asheville, NC on Craigslist for $75. I was considering it, but I need another receiver like I need another hole in my head. He says is works but has scratches on it. It is a sweet sounding receiver, but really heavy for it's size since it is all metal. Excellent tuner!! It pulls in more stations without an antenna than some of my units with.

I own one, and love it. Dates from the late 1970's. Was a higher-power (50-watt) amp section, with the same very good phono and tuner sections that the 300 had. I have an old newspaper writeup on it, and the original (photocopied) manual. I agree with avionic. DeOx everything, and see what happens. I see one on eBay, currently going for about $50.00 plus shipping.

Anybody familiar with the Advent 350 receiver? There are tons of pages dedicated to the Advent 300, but nothing on the 350. Any reason for that? Mine sounds great when working properly. I have an intermittent left channel which I have been trying to trace down it's cause. When I get time I am going to go through it with a fine tooth comb.

Hi,

Believe it or not I designed the darned thing. I googled the Advent 350 a week ago and came up with your question. The design work was from 1979 or so, and was indeen based on the 300. We used Tom Holman's phono preamp, I did the power amp and tuner. Another colleague did the preamp/tone-control. We were striving for a bit more muscle to drive our large Advents, the weight reflects a linear power supply that will drive 100W to the 4 ohm advents with no supply squat. Most amplifier power ratings are 'peak', which means it won't support sustained passages.

Anyway your reference to the ld 350 inspired me to sign up for this AudioKarma thing, my first try at this.

I don't know if your still around after all this time, thought I'd try anyway.

The reason so few people have heard of it is the company was bought about 1978, moved to NH about 1980. Lost most of the old hands including a lot of the speaker talent. Company folded again about 1981, was bought by a series of buyers. Speaker products went toJensen in Chicago.

Glad you like the 350, I have 2 of them.

Regards,

j

Welcome on board. You know that now everyone here is going to try to find one and have you help get it running. It does sound like an interesting unit. Could you post a photo so I'll know what I'm looking for, whoops what you designed :).

Jstaley,

I worked at Advent in 1979 also. And I have a 350 receiver in my attic. I think it is like serial #00000006 or something. I'm taking it down this weekend to see about pressing it back into service while my Krell integrated goes to the factory for repair. That is a wonderful receiver design that I could never bring myself to part with.

Cruzeman

Have a friend with a silver faced 300 receiver. I have Original Large Advents. I love them and my old Advent 201 cassette deck which has lasted all those years when newer decks dropped like flies. Please post some late era Advent history for the record and welcome to AK, you're among friends.

Hi,

Believe it or not I designed the darned thing. I googled the Advent 350 a week ago and came up with your question. The design work was from 1979 or so, and was indeen based on the 300. We used Tom Holman's phono preamp, I did the power amp and tuner. Another colleague did the preamp/tone-control. We were striving for a bit more muscle to drive our large Advents, the weight reflects a linear power supply that will drive 100W to the 4 ohm advents with no supply squat. Most amplifier power ratings are 'peak', which means it won't support sustained passages.

Anyway your reference to the ld 350 inspired me to sign up for this AudioKarma thing, my first try at this.

I don't know if your still around after all this time, thought I'd try anyway.

The reason so few people have heard of it is the company was bought about 1978, moved to NH about 1980. Lost most of the old hands including a lot of the speaker talent. Company folded again about 1981, was bought by a series of buyers. Speaker products went toJensen in Chicago.

Glad you like the 350, I have 2 of them.

Regards,

j

Welcome to AK and thanks for the info! I look forward to more in the future.

I had a 300 for a while I recieved as a fixer upper, but have never seen the 350! It looks amazing! Any other info on it?

I know a little about it...

...because of my friend's obsession with it. It's very rare and is prized, at least by my friend, for its power amp section. Good luck. Oh, yeah, go Saints!

Gee, did not take you long to go from the I'll never part with it stance to I'll dump it for $10. It may be rare but I doubt it will start a bidding war. You may actually have gotten a better offer here in the classifieds as the eBay route is turning persons off and as you do not ship outside of the US per the add it restricts it even further.

Just to be clear. In the advert it says there is no power between the preamp and power amp. I assume you mean not signal. You also mention you tested it with headphones. As the headphone pickup is on the output of the power amp you may have been more clear on how this test was done. I gather you did this through a dedicated power amp connected to the preamp outputs but, to many readers who follow these auctions they are aware of flippers and idiots and might think you may be one or the other. You may want to amend the advert for clarity as the way it reads it might dissuade some potential bidders. Your openess as to what the Advent tech did is a plus and forestalls a screaming match later.

Good luck with the auction and I hope someone here rescues it.

Oh, the thread will probably get moved to dollars and cents. You may want in the future not piggy back this type of overt advertising onto an existing thread.

Back
Top Bottom