I De-Oxited my KR7600, and now my FM reception is gone.

andx0r

I DeOxited my KR7600, and it fixed a channel loss problem, as well as got rid of all the crackles.

Unfortunately, now I only get a 1-2 on the signal meter at best, when before I'd get a solid 4-5 every time. And the reception is clearly weaker.

What could I have possibly damaged with the DeOxit/simply being in there?

I'm using a simple $5 FM dipole antenna.

Just check --- is the antenna hooked up to the correct terminals.
Or the FM switch may be full of deoxit and it's not dry .. selector switches stuck or still dirty .. lots of causes if you didn't change anything. And it was working before.
You didn't spray it into the gang turner that the knob turns I hope...

John M

If you did spray into the tuner area where there are lots of fin get some non residue electronics cleaner and spray them.

I had it standing up on it's back when I sprayed my volume, selector, and balance knobs and the stuff ran down onto the tuner board, including onto that turner :|

That's probably it.

If it did get onto the tuner capacitor fins, I think you can use QD electronic cleaner to get the deoxit off. Possibly a high % isopropyl alcohol in a sprayer may work too. I believe their is a thread on tuner capacitor cleaning here on AK if you do a search.

A delicate approach is called for, rather than spraying more stuff on the tuner fins. Hit the fins with compressed air. In a few days, you'll see the tuner start to respond.

Rather than rush right to some (perhaps harsh) chemical, I'd try 91% isopropyl first. Put some in a spray bottle and hit the fins with it, and blast it off with compressed air.

But still, I'd do nothing for a few days and wait to see what happens as the DeOxit evaporates.

Yeah, it's goign to sit until this weekend at least.

I feel so stupid. there are literally big paths of de-oxit going through the dust on my tuner board, and most of them go right into those fins :|

next time I'll leave the thing sitting flat to deoxit, even if it's hard to see.

Hopefully you didn't get any in the tuner coils...don't ask me how I know about that. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has hit a few bumps on the ol' learning curve. Chances are it will be fine after it has a chance to dry out.

Well, I've been hitting it with compressed air and turning the thing as I did so all week, with no real difference.

I realized I had a product in the garage on my automotive shelf that might help. It's a CRC product, an alcohol based non-residual quick-drying spray, for cleaning electronics.

I figured if said product can safely clean the notoriously fragile and touchy MAFs and AMM's used on MPI fuel-injected cars in the 1980s and early 1990s, I didn't have much to lose trying it on a tuner. So I used that, in conjunction with the compressed air.

Still no difference at all :|

Lesson learned I guess, heh. On the plus side, this is a receiver I picked up cheaply and needing some work, so not a huge loss.

You used WAY too much deoxit if you have it running through your unit as you describe.......You only need to blip the smallest amount INTO the pot, not at it.....Same with the switches....

I see this time and time again, people using far too much of the stuff.....its not good for old PCB's, it can cause them to de-laminate, cause tracks to lift as well....
You have to be very careful using it.....

Was it SN5? Or fader lube?

The other thing is deoxit is non conductive so I am thinking you might have disturbed something while you were in there, it may not be the Deoxit causing the issue....

One other possibility (though it seems unlikely) is that your accidental cleaning of the tuning variable capacitor might have interrupted the ground connection in the tuning capacitor itself. The center of the rotating part usually has 2-3 contact points to the frame that act as bearings but also as ground contacts. When I cleaned a Sansui tuning section, the FM reception was very weak until I put a tiny drop of lube into each bearing section. The signal strength popped back immediately.

I agree with the suggestions of others that you want to try to get the DeOxit out of the tuner, not put any other chemicals in. Good luck. You'll get it going again.

Back
Top Bottom