Q2 restoration update...

Bkphoto

So, something was wrong...it really sucks when you do all this work set them up and go.............ugh.............:thumbsdn:

the only words i can come up with are "wrong" and "odd"

when I put something together I do it like my grandfather, which means it takes a lot to tear it back apart....

So, I reluctantly put my IIIa's back in place and got these heavy ass boxes back to the garage...So I finally get the energy to start, I took the crossover back out but it was still hooked up to everything....and just looked at it for a long time...So I unhooked all the inductors and tested them (well what do you know) 2 of the three were way off where they were supposed to be...

Contacted the company (not going to trash anyone ) because they asked for them back, tested them and agreed these were out of spec...sent me new ones, back up and running...(feeling better it wasn't actually something I screwed up)

I have one done and the other just hit the operating table...

got it back upstairs, hooked it up and put the balance all towards the Q2...Ahhh, its working....

I didn't do it very long (2 different speakers hooked up to amp) but i kept going back and forth between the Q2 on the left and IIIa on the right with the balance knob...playing Dire Straits sultans of swing...IIIa is much more up front, kinda harsh in the upper midrange, the Q2 is way more laid back, nothing really hits you in the face like the IIIa's...to my ears much more pleasing...

I'm happy again, although I'm still dreading the process of tearing apart the second one...:thmbsp:

Good to hear that you think that the Q2s have a decent upper midrange. That is the range that can be so irritating when it has a peak in it. I got rid of several Klipsch speakers including my K-horns because of that.

I haven't had the funds or time to get back to my Q2s. I have them fully functioning, but haven't done any upgrades yet. I do need to re-finish them before the summer is over. I have the polyfill to replace the fiberglass and poly caps to replace the electrolytics. Now I just need some spare time and I'm set to get started.

Let us know what you think of the sound of both when you get the second one finished and give them about 40 hours play.

Larry D.

BK, did you test the new inductors before you installed them to see if they were in spec? How far out of spec where the old inductors when you did measure them? What made you decide to replace the old inductors?

I ask because I am not clear on when inductors should be replaced. Two of the iron core inductors on my Kappa 8 woofer xover had a variance of over 25% from spec so I replaced them. I only updated one speaker and could not hear a difference between the two.

Last edited:
the 4.3 mh were 4...and i could hear voices in the woofer....not muffled and low but clear as day...so we are back up and running on all cylinders now....

it was definitely a pain in the buttocks to move these beasts and take them back apart but i'm glad i did...

I replaced them because A) i was in there and B) Mr Watkins has talked a lot about the use of laminated steel inductors with his design vs. the inductors that were used by Infinity...

unfortunately i couldn't A-B changes because the original caps were way off spec, pots were full of rust and there were various drivers that needed to be fixed when i got them....

so, a couple things....hahaha

these speakers do not excel at low level listening...plus I've never had a speaker that changes so much between sitting down and standing...

do you guys toe them in or leave them flat...?

Back
Top Bottom