Infinity SSM-212 Subwoofer (and Original Modulus Satellites)

rroobbcc

About a month ago I posted about the nearly mint condition Infinity Modulus satellite speakers with original stands that I bought from Aaron. My initial impressions were very positive, and having listened to them for a month, I have only grown more and more fond of them.

As great as the Modulus satellites are, they do have one big deficiency, they produce nearly zero bass tones below about 80Hz. In all fairness, the satellites were designed to be mated with the Modulus servo-controlled subwoofer, and to evaluate them without a subwoofer is missing the point. Initially I borrowed one of the Polk Audio PSW1000 subs from my home theater system to get a feel for the satellites performance as part of a full range system. While the result was good, the Polk sub is really intended for HT use so there was plenty of room for improvement.

Unfortunately it seems that the Modulus subwoofer is even more rare than the satellites. While eventually I would love to have one, I figured I need to look for another solution. If I couldn't have a Modulus sub, I wanted to at least stay true to the Modulus concept. This meant I was looking for at least a 12" driver that was servo-controlled. Something in gloss black would be a huge plus. This led me immediately to the Rythmik Audio F12SE. The only problem is that I am not really ready to dump down $950 (shipped) on a sub right now, so I decide to look for a cheaper interim solution and maybe get the Rythmik sometime in the future. It seemed that the most abundant servo-controlled subs on the various online sites (Ebay, Audiogon, craigslist, etc.) were from Velodyne. Finally this past Sunday afternoon a Velodyne F-1200 popped up on Ebay with a "But it now" price of $129, and I grabbed it. While I am not expecting the old Velodyne to be spectacular, I assumed it would be adequate for a few months to a year until I was ready for something else.

Move on to Monday. I had not been on craigslist in a few days, so I took a look through a few of my normal searches, and what did I see... Infinity SSW-212 subwoofer... $125!!! Could this be real? Although I had never heard the SSW-212 in person, I was familiar with it from advertisements back in the early 90's. There isn't too much said about it online, but what is written is really positive. The SSW series included 3 subs. The small SSW-10 with a single 10" woofer, the SSW-210 with two 10" woofers, and the SSW-212 with two 12's. They are all sealed enclosures and all are servo-controlled. An Infinity servo-controlled sub would be an excellent choice to mate with the Modulus satellites. Surprised that it was still available, I exchanged a few e-mails with the seller and by Monday afternoon the sub was standing in my home office.:banana:

Let me just say that this thing is BIG! I knew it wasn't a small sub given that it housed two 12s, but I was still surprised how big it is. Strangely the manual doesn't provide any specs... none! However, from the information I can find online it seems that it is powered with a 300 watt amplifier and is rated down to 25Hz at -3db. When new in 1992 it sold for $1595! BTW, did I mention it is BIG... and heavy too!

Of course the most important question is... how does it sound? Let me just say that I am VERY pleased. It is vastly superior to my Polk Audio PSW1000s. The bass is more detailed, and deeper. It was also very easy to get a satisfactory blend with the Modulus satellites. However, I am most likely going to try moving it to a corner where it will be out of the way (did I mention it is BIG) so I will likely have to tweak the settings some more. I have been listening to song after song and am VERY happy with how the system sounds. In fact it might even sound better than my big 9 Kappas! Sometime in the future I am going to have to drag all of this gear into one room and do some A/B comparison testing.:music::music::music:

There are a few downsides to this sub, starting with the lack of a high pass crossover and no auto-on feature. This basically means that you either have to use a smart power system to turn the outlet off and on, or reach behind the sub and hit the switch each time you use it. I have to turn things off-and-on daily anyway, so this is really not a big issue for me. The "black oak" finish is also a bit boring compared to the beautiful gloss black of the Modulus satellites. I have done some reading about a finish called PianoLac that is supposed to give an excellent piano gloss finish much more easily than the traditional multi-layer lacquer. I may look to have the cabinet refinished with PianoLac so it matches the Modulus sats.

The only question remaining is "what am I going to do with the Velodyne F-1200 when it arrives?" Some A/B comparisons will definitely be in order. Afterwhich I will decide what to do with it.

Enjoy the pics!

Rob

Attachments

• ssm212-1.jpg
    ssm212-1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 755
  • ssm212-2.jpg
    ssm212-2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 106
  • ssm212-3.jpg
    ssm212-3.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 134
Methinks the lucky dawg has been too busy listening to music! :music:

I :whip: myself for passing up on one of those rare Modulus subwoofers, because I didn't have the satellites.... and then finding the satellites (without the sub!) just a few weeks later. I got the satellites, but have been looking for the sub (either the original Modulus one or one of those SSW-12s) ever since. Seen a bunch of lesser/later Infinity subs (heck, I sold two that I used to own!) but am still looking for one of these better-quality matches for the satellites. One day...

Last edited:
Wow! Was it really four years ago that I picked up that SSW-212? Ultimately I ended up using the Velodyne F-1200 in my home office because of its smaller size. The SSW-212 spent sometime in my home theater until a couple years ago when I received an email from someone offering me a sum of money for it that I could not ignore. I do however miss the SSW-212, and sometimes regret selling it.

The F-1200 has served me really well and also complements the Modulus Satellites nicely. Eventually I will probably replace it with a Rythmik Audio F12SE, which in the absence of a real Modulus sub seems most true to the original Modulus concept and design.

A while back I was also able to pick up three more Modulus Satellites and two pairs of stands, giving me enough to assemble a Modulus-based surround sound system. I don't have a need at the moment, but want to have that option in the future.

Last edited:
EDIT/UPDATE: Yesterday was "one day"! I now own a Modulus subwoofer, to match the satellite speakers! :banana: I haven't even arranged transport to bring it home yet; will post in a separate thread once I've had a chance to listen to the set. Soon I'l get to enjoy the kind of sound that you've been enjoying!

In between, I also picked up a second set of satellites. Now all I need is some kind of matching center (maybe another pair of satellites) for a 5.1 surround system. I'll keep looking for another Modulus sub, though (or even two more) for stereo (or "distributed") bass.

Back
Top Bottom