Front grill measurements / build plans for RSII's?

Sonance'84

moe.ron
Subscriber
Since my RSII's (original, not A or B) are missing the front grills, I was wondering if someone could take some precise measurements of their grills for me? Or maybe someone has already rebuilt a pair and has build plans? I'd like to see if someone I know can build them for me.

I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

General layout:

Back:
attachment.php

Front:
attachment.php

Overall height 116 cm, width 30.5 cm, thickness 1.7 cm.

Top rectangular opening, height 43.8 cm, width 24.2 cm. Diagonal cuts in all corners are 5.5 cm long.

Bottom rectangular opening, height 61.4 cm, width 24.2 cm. Diagonal cuts in all four corners are 5.5 cm long.

Note that the bottom rectangle opening has indentations cut into both sides of the frame, to allow the woofer rings to fit behind the grill. The cuts on the back side are 52.7 cm tall, and 2.3 cm wide, leaving 0.8 cm as the width of the side frame. The depth of the indentation is 1.0 cm (so that there is still 0.7 cm of frame material left on the front side).

Top horizontal bar height is 3.2 cm, middle bar height is 4.4 cm, and bottom bar is 3.0 cm. The side of the vertical frame bar is 3.1 cm wide.

Attachments

• WP_20150509_22_48_11_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150509_22_48_11_Pro.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 101
  • WP_20150509_22_48_28_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150509_22_48_28_Pro.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 96
Thanks you for doing that! Now, just need to get this info into the hands of someone with the skills to build these.

I am strongly considering building a second set of grills to just cover the woofer section leaving the top section uncovered.

I am strongly considering building a second set of grills to just cover the woofer section leaving the top section uncovered.

That sounds like a great idea...I might think about doing that for mine.

Seppo, are the front grill frames made from the same material as the rear grills? Those rear grills are damn heavy for their size!

That sounds like a great idea...I might think about doing that for mine.

Seppo, are the front grill frames made from the same material as the rear grills? Those rear grills are damn heavy for their size!

Pretty sure it is just a standard mdf painted black.

Pretty sure it is just a standard mdf painted black.

What's standard size for MDF?

The rear grills are 1" thick MDF, which is overkill and they weigh a lot. I can't imagine the front grills being made from the same 1" MDF...they'd weigh a ton.

Both front and rear grilles weigh roughly the same. And seem to be made of the same material.

The front grille is much thinner than the rear one. The front one is 1.7 cm thick as per my measurements above. While the rear one is 4.5 cm, i.e. more than double.

Here some close-up pics of the indents on the woofer / lower part of the grille. I tried to take the pics from an angle, showing the 3D structure hopefully a bit better.

WP_20151202_20_04_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20151202_20_05_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20151202_20_05_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20151202_20_05_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20151202_20_05_07_Pro.jpg

WP_20151202_20_05_31_Pro.jpg

Well gang, here ye go. For those that are thinking about lower grilles only. These were the OP's speakers originally. I did the 1/2 grille idea.

Those came out great, I really like the 1/2 grill! Glad you're still enjoying those fine speakers. Have you done any other updates/mods to them?

No additional work. No need to. Would love to get the pushed in dustcaps on the mids pulled out.

Once my kids are a bit older I might go topless too...

Can we just get a standard bikini shot first? Make sure that you're our type, before we get all 'topless' up in here! :eek::D

Otherwise, I really like the half grills. The OP did a really nice job! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom