Infinity Primus P363?

riverrat373

I am looking to replace my current speakers (BIC Venturi DV64's) because I am not satisfied with the overall sound. To me they have poor bass response and the highs are to bright for my tastes. I purchased these speakers from Parts Express based on the reviews and feel that there must have been lots of shill reviews!

I am running a NAD 3140 integrated amp as a preamp into a NAD 214 amp with 80W per channel output. I may be adding a vintage Marantz 2270 receiver in the near future if my trade I'm working on comes about.

I have read some good reviews on the Infinity Primus P363 speakers (For what that's worth!) but I am unable to find a Infinity dealer in my area to audition these speakers. My budget limits me to about $500 to $600for a pair of speakers. IMO 3-way speakers sound better than 2-way's and usually have better bass and mids and I don't really have a decent place to use a sub woofer. (Plus it seems good subs cost almost as much as main speakers!)

My listening room is about 15'X15' with 8' ceilings and hardwood floors. I listen to jazz, blues, classical and classic rock mostly with some world music thrown in. Anyone here that owns or has heard these speakers? :music:

I had these speakers as they were on sale for $198/pair at Frys. At that price, they're worth it. But if your budget is $500-600, I would keep looking. I've bought and sold several sets of speakers in that range that sounded better to me.

Maybe take a look on your local CL for Vandersteen 2CE's or 2CE Signatures and have a listen to them.

Where in Pac Northwest are you? There may also be some AK'ers with extra speakers in your area that can let you listen to theirs as well.

I had these speakers as they were on sale for $198/pair at Frys. At that price, they're worth it.

I appreciate the comment but I have a problem with part of it. the comment "at that price, they're worth it". That's like when someone is describing a vintage receiver they are listing on Ebay saying " In good shape considering it's age". It's either in good shape or it's not! Age has nothing to do with describing the condition of the item! The same holds true for speakers. They either sound good to you or they don't! Price has nothing to do with how they sound to you! Nothing personal but I had to get that off my chest! :D

I assume that each price tier has a spectrum of possible options. In the 0-$200 tier, I think the Primus 363's are on the upper end of what you can get for that price, so it's 'worth it for the price'.

But if you open up the options to everything possible <$500 bracket, the Infinity's woundn't be my choice. They'd still sound good for $200, but if I had room to spend another $300, I'd aim higher because IMO you can achieve better sound with more $ to spend. Like the Vandy's I mentioned. But I want to achieve the best sound I can with my budget. Others just want to get over a certain 'good enough' threshold for the least $ possible. In that case, the 363's may be for you.

Objectively, I think the Infinities sound good, but aren't as refined and smooth as others priced higher. I recall the highs being a bit sharp/grating/grainy with certain tracks, which might lead to fatigue over time (for me).

That's all I meant.

Back
Top Bottom