Recapped CR1020..dim bulb failure help.

BBRN

I just completed a full recap on a CR1020. Reassembled everything and powered up on a dim bulb with a 25w bulb. The bulb stays bright. I unfortunately due to disassembly was not able to check my work as I went along from board to board. I was EXTRA careful when dealing with polarities, and went one cap at a time. I have checked all of my solder connections...everything seems good. Fuses are all good. I used a new Omron MY2-02 relay which is not engaging. The only thing I'm unsure of is there are 2 caps on the PS board both 3.3uf 25v. I used bi-polar caps in these spots. Would the non-polarized caps be causing my problem?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer in isolating this...always a bummer when that light stays on:worried:

If they are C707/708 they are polarized.

I'm having a hard time reading the schematic off the internet. But if it was a polarized before then yes this could be the problem.

Barney

Yes, the old caps were polarized, but I was under the impression using non polar would work OK. Could this be causing the issue?

Well, unfortunately I put the original 3.3uf caps back in, and still no luck. Bulb is glowing and no relay click.

but did you put them the right way round ?
plus side of one of them goes to same side as the 4.7k resistor

Last edited:
Yep:yes: Thank you Pete. The bad thing is I new to look out for that one. I switched the orientation....but still the same results.

OK Pete your on to something...I removed the fuses from the mains...and the relay engaged on power up. I should mention that I also changed the 2SC458 transistors on the main boards as well, to KSC1845 reversed with the curved portion on the main heatsinks. This was advised by others to do.

OK, with the fuses in the right side and not the left I get a relay click....when reversed no go. Does that mean something is wrong with the left main board?

Check that your outputs cases are not shorted to the heatsink and are installed in the correct position with mica insulators.

Back
Top Bottom