Pioneer Spec 1 and 2

vapcochris4

Hey all,
I recently got my hands on a Spec 1 preamp, spec 2 power amp and the matching TX-9500II tuner. My father told me in 1977 this stuff was top drawer. What do you guys think? The amp will be running a set of Klipsch Heresy E's and a set of Pioneer CS-88's. I am very excited! Working on getting my hands on HPM 200's- they're tough to find. It's like a 77' pioneer catalog in my man cave!:music: Is this equipment audiophile worthy?

Nice stuff to get, congrats. I have only the SPEC-1, and it appears to me to be a very well-built and designed unit. The SPEC-2 is also considered to be a good unit.

Keep us informed, and enjoy these fine pieces.

I'm and tuner collector and have a TX-9500II. It is indeed top drawer. Mine had mods done by Mike Williams and it is in the top 10 of my best sounding tuners. Also pretty sensitive.

owed a spec 1 for yrs and was my fav SS pre.Only sold due to discovery of what Tube preamps can do for your sound.
nice kit for sure
hunter

Nice stack.
Bulletproof and great performance, was totl then.
Build quality was excellent.
Neutral sound.

Spec

Thanks for the replies! I'll keep you guys posted, I just sent the amp out for repair. Right now I am using the Spec 1 with a Crown D-150 A Series II amp. It is okay, not great. I think I am having issues my left channel, it clips easily and when the bass notes hit, I hear a crackle. I need more power!
Chris

Hmmm . . . define crackle. Does this "crackling" in any way sound like a mechanical noise? If so, tell us about the setting of the tone controls and loudness.

Crown

The crackle occurs when the bass hits, it sounds like a bad speaker, but it's not. When I plugged in my other amp, it went away.

Spec Setup...

Hey all. I just thought I would share where I am at with my Pioneer rig. I got the amp back the other day and all I can say is, wow! I am very impressed at the full, rich sound. I got the units mounted in the wall and I am waiting for my CT-F700 Cassette deck. Any info on these? I bought it mainly for ascetics, worth it? Here are a few pictures of my rig. I also found a pair of HPM-200's but they are $800! I may have to wait on that. I am also in search of a good deal on a SG-9500 and an RG-1 processor. Wis me luck!
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_295145.jpg
    IMG_295145.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2916.jpg
    IMG_2916.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2927.jpg
    IMG_2927.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2932.jpg
    IMG_2932.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 162
RIGHTEOUS setup! I wanted a Spec 1 and 2 combo in the worst way when they were new.

Please tell me you have proper ventilation on the other side of that wall...

A Spec stack was the second audio find for me when I got back more fully into audio a little over 3 years ago. (A friend found it for me....and it was an estate find for the record books!) It's no nonsense light warmth is so smooth and open from low volume to high and the headroom reveals itself through it all in no uncertain terms.

We can all go on about our likes and dislikes on sound that we grow into and out of (I have seen plenty of that.) but the single biggest thing that strikes me with Spec? In the two stages that I've had this equipment go into the hands of techs to get it all up to speed (for it's next long haul) the reverence of both techs tone in handing it back over.
I knew going in how Pioneer really stepped up, but my mild way of accepting their appreciation must have been taken as me "not being aware fully of the details why" and from a techs standpoint.....SACRILEGE! They both made it a point to do that.

Important stuff and congrats!

You gotta love the Spec gear. Seriously good stuff then and still holds it's own today.

I like the wall mount set up but you'll want to put a vent in that wall and maybe a small fan if you haven't already.

$800 for HPM-200's ain't bad. They are rare and very nice.

I like the DSS-9 speakers with my spec system. The speakers can handle the power and like it loud. They would be a huge step up from the Heresy's and CS-88's. I would also consider the HPM-150's or HPM-1500's for the Spec gear and are easier to find than the HPM-200's.

Yep,Spec gear sounds excellent and is built to last a lifetime. I have a Spec 1 and 4 that I really like,although they're not quite my fav pre/power amp combo.

Back
Top Bottom