Vintage amp fit for Realistic/Radioshack Mach Two's

I've owned Mach Is, IIs and IIIs and have really enjoyed them all with most SS Amps I've used them with. My Mach IIIs were my first 'real' speakers but ended up being lugged around and used at too many friends parties in my late teens. The cabinets basically fell apart in the end so I reboxed them into split cabinets to make them easier to transport (see pic: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=481727&d=1389217109) and used them for another few years but ended up selling them during a house move about 10 years ago. I've been on the hunt for another pair ever since... quite hard to find now!

My Mach Is were decommissioned to be refoamed a couple of years ago and although that happened and they now work well I've been contemplating doing the 'VideoLady' mods on them... but then again I find them perfectly fine 'as is' and may also just leave them standard. They'll make their way back into my main system again one day soon.

My Mach IIs needed their Mids refoamed when I first got them but they've been part of my main system for the last few years and I really enjoy listening to them. Not a precise as my NS-1000s but still very enjoyable.

I run the Mach IIs off my Yamaha M-70 Power Amp which is probably a bit out of your price range however I've also run them off an M-45 which shares the same SQ just with less grunt and may be achievable with your budget as you wont have to pay the 'Australia Tax' like us Aussies :) An M-40 would be just as good an even cheaper as it's identical to the M-45 just without the sexy VU meters :) You could keep your current Receiver and just connect the power Amp up to the Pre-Outs if it has them.

I've used other SS Amps on the Machs too... from 50WPC no-name Chinese-built 'mid-fi' Integrateds through to my 400W Perreaux 3000B Monoblocks and they all seem to work well with them. I tried running a valve Amp and they sounded 'OK' but not as good as SS so best to stick with that.

Hope this helps...

Interesting amps:yes: If I didn't shell out for the Sansui AU-717 already, I may have considered the M-45. Whats that "natural sound" all about? Im all about "warmer" sounding gear, eh maybe one day down the road i'll get one. They look very intriguing.

@Rowdy011 Yep their great speakers. All original, 1st owner barely used em, but I always wanted to try some speakers with 15's in em for more bump, that is where I feel the 9's are lacking just a bit. Other than that I love em.

Interesting amps:yes: If I didn't shell out for the Sansui AU-717 already, I may have considered the M-45. Whats that "natural sound" all about?

Yeah, I really like them. 'Natural Sound' has been Yamahas tagline forever. It's just a marketing thing of course but Yamaha does (or 'did') make a nice Amp and they pride themselves on the lowest THD figure for that price bracket and from what I can tell they still do when compared with Sonys etc.

What does that mean to the listener? Well, all subjective of course but I personally find the mid-high range Yamaha gear superb and even though it has a cult following it can still be picked up for reasonable prices too... even here in Australia! Definitely worth owning a nice M series Yamaha Power Amp at some stage... even the basic M-40 is a great Amp if the budget can't stretch far plus it's all easily flippable for what you paid (if not more!) if you end up not really liking it.

Well -- Yamaha's pitch historically went something like this: since we actually make musical instruments, we feel that we just might have a clue as to what they should actually sound like.

... which, I would opine, they actually did, and perhaps still do...

DSC_0180 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom