3 Vintage Harman/Kardon Amplifiers - Photos

Not that i know much about much, but i picked up a pm665 a couple of weeks ago. paired it with some dcm timewindow series 1's, and i now have sound that i thought was out of my price range.
so tally me up for the 665.

H/k 402

Hello Everyone, I'm new(BFD!!!) here. I got a set of these off E-bay a-402 and T-403 . I gave it the De-ox baptism and the little bugger is in my office pumping electrons like the DEAD thru Owsley"s wall of sound in the 70's. I'm pushing some HH Scott S-61's I just purchased. They are beat to shit cosmetically, but sound wonderful! I can find no info on these- anybody???(the speakers that is). Thanks for hav'in me in gang! Happy trails! Sturdley

I owned a PM665 for about 5 years...got rid of it when I picked up a carver TFM25 and could kick myself. I let it go for next to nothing. Still have the carver but wish I had my HK back. Great integrated amp...clean....warm...sweet. kinda like hot apple pie!...Ive been scouting to replace it...

Hello everybody. This is my first reply in AK.

Here is my HK PM665. Powerful and nice sound. I vote for it. Recently, there is a problem in the bass contour knob. Large pulp sound comes out when pressing it on. I do not know how to fix it because I do not have any electrical/electronics knowledge.

Happy listening.

Attachments

• DSCF1608.jpg
    DSCF1608.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCF1637.jpg
    DSCF1637.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 260
I have a PM-665 running a 4 ohm (150/ch) Canton sub/sat system in my computer rig. I swear that thing can reach SPL's near to what my main system can that is in my signature.

I have no experience with the other H/K's listed.

I got mine with an H/K tuner and CD player for 20 bucks. Half a can of Deoxit later.....:music::banana::thmbsp::yes::D

These amplifiers are from mid 1970s to late 1980s. They were all made in Japan. The build quality is quite good.

Two of these amplifiers, the PM665 and the A402 used the dual amplifier design.

And the PM650 ain't far off... single LARGE transformer but everything after that is discrete, i.e. separate rectifiers, separate filter caps.

Dave

I have three PM650s. They are a superb amplifier in every respect, more reliable than the PM660 and PM665 (I have several of them too) and a decent step up from the model below, the PM640, which is also a lovely amplifier.

In terms of performance, the PM640/650 and 660 outperform the later models due to a considerable more linear response. Try putting a PM665 on a cro with a 10kHz square wave as compared to the 660 and 650- there is no comparison.

The 660 is a pure DC no capacitor coupled integrated, whereas the PM665 isn't- it can't go as low and has phase shift in the lowest octaves. Still a good amp though.

The VXi models spent too much time messing with commutating supply rails and I never liked them.

You could not rip my PM650 from my dying hands. Just recap'd it about 3 weeks ago and it is even better. My 16 year old daughter wants it when I die.

It flat out rocks...

Here it is on the bench after recap, relamp, general repair.

Attachments

• pm650.jpg
    pm650.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 115
I'm gonna have to pick up that old 665 & shake the dust out because this thread should go on. To be continued...

You put your hand on the unit and you can feel current running though it.
The only flaw is a hum emanating from the unit. I had it on all night without issue. You have to be about a foot from the unit to notice it.
Sound quality, and it's output surprised me. And very clean. I won't call it colored, since the treble sounds great with the bass. To many units perform much better with bass, then treble, which I find annoying. Many units from the 70's are like this.
I guess since it's not wood and silver, and rated 100 WPC or more it does not fall into the "I love it because it's wood, and silver, and everybody has told me I should love it because of that, and 100 WPC" group.
I have rarely heard it mentioned on here, "It's current" not necessarily WPC. I think that is lost on many.

Sansui AU 919
Yamaha CR 2040
NAD 7140
Luxman PD 272
Yamaha YP 450
Yamaha NS 1000
Tannoy System 800
Kef 102
Marantz CD 5001
Yamaha DVD C961
(More)

I have the cap list from when I recap'd mine. Pretty easy though. Anything Elna got Elna Similac II and the reset were Nichicon FG's. The FG's are probably over kill replacing the original TK's, but the pre-amp section also had Matsushita that at the time, was not sure if they were audio path or not, so I made it easier and picked FG's.Filter caps were Nichicon LS.

Let me know and I can get you all the Mouser part numbers and qty's.

And I wholly agree on the current. It can and has drove every speaker thrown at it with ease. Since 1981!!! I am the original owner.

Where you having the internal hum, and did it go away after the re-cap. I am not a tech.
I still have to re-solder a Yamaha DSP A1 display. Lazy.

Anybody use HK amps with KLH vintage speakers(i.e Model Five, Six, 23, etc...), or AR 3/3A's? I just picked up a PM665VXi off the auction site and wondering how it will do with those. The Five especially is somewhat power hungry so thought it'd be a good way to see what it will do with 150 watts, and maybe use the amp as an excuse to dip my toe into the AR world.

You could not rip my PM650 from my dying hands. Just recap'd it about 3 weeks ago and it is even better. My 16 year old daughter wants it when I die.

It flat out rocks...

Here it is on the bench after recap, relamp, general repair.

Where, and how did you learn to recap your PM650? I've got one and the balance control isn't working properly. Not sure how to fix it. But everything in my PM650 is original, except the fuses, and I want to recondition it. Tips appreciated. Sorry for dredging up an old thread.

You put your hand on the unit and you can feel current running though it.
The only flaw is a hum emanating from the unit. I had it on all night without issue. You have to be about a foot from the unit to notice it.
Sound quality, and it's output surprised me. And very clean. I won't call it colored, since the treble sounds great with the bass. To many units perform much better with bass, then treble, which I find annoying. Many units from the 70's are like this.
I guess since it's not wood and silver, and rated 100 WPC or more it does not fall into the "I love it because it's wood, and silver, and everybody has told me I should love it because of that, and 100 WPC" group.
I have rarely heard it mentioned on here, "It's current" not necessarily WPC. I think that is lost on many.

Sansui AU 919
Yamaha CR 2040
NAD 7140
Luxman PD 272
Yamaha YP 450
Yamaha NS 1000
Tannoy System 800
Kef 102
Marantz CD 5001
Yamaha DVD C961
(More)

Add a Pioneer Pl 530 that I had at the time of the post, but had it in an attic for several years up to the time of the post.
Duh, fuses.......I still need to replace that push off nub inside the unit.

Otherwise the list hasn't changed. Nothing on the equipment front in thrifts anymore.......I do not feel like bothering with it unless it's from me.
Flips are small!

Back
Top Bottom