Present your Toshiba and Aurex units

aileenamegan

I realized that Toshiba and Aurex are not often mentioned here. Why is it so?
Not many sold/distributed worldwide? Bad reputation?
So what are your experiences with Toshiba/Aurex?
Which did you have? Which do you still have? Discuss about quality etc.
I would be pleased to get your view - as I highly recommend their products of those days.

I will start with two tuners I have, beside a few receivers.
The ST-230 is a little gem. Better than a Pioneer TX606/608 or Kenwood KT-5500. Fine sound and good reception.

The ST-420 is a heavy, well shielded 4-gear tuner. Very good reception, extremly less noise and fresh, detailled sound. Paired with a strong and outstanding design - as most of the Toshibas have.

Last edited:
Toshiba ST-115 Tuner & Toshiba SB-115 Amp/Toshiba SB-A35 Amp.

Both the budget SB-115 amp,and it's matching ST-115 Tuner were fairly decent sounding.Build quality is good too.
I've always found Toshiba gear to be good and reliable,have an old Aurex 3 head cassette deck,that is still going strong to this day.

paulb007-20.jpg
[/IMG]
paulb005-31.jpg
[/IMG]

Toshiba SB-514 Quad amplifier.

I purchased this rare one on Ebay just recently,love the looks of it.It works excellent,and sounds great on one set of outputs,but not on the other.
Will post better pics when it arrives next week.

KGrHqNisFBsZUu-PJBQnBIIPZ9g60_12.jpg
[/IMG]
T2eC16JzUE9s38-JIBQnBIttfkQ60_12.jpg
[/IMG]

The ST-420 from the top has boards from Aurey. As far as I remeber Aurex has been the trust where Toshiba has been under the roof. They had the technology and after some years with having Toshiba they placed Aurex as HighEnd brand.

Toshiba SB-M2.

Excellent little amp,to be honest through headphones at least,it sounds a lot like my Pioneer SX-D5000 receiver,it's that good.

paulb004-44.jpg
[/IMG]

Toshiba SB-514 Quad amplifier (1974-1975)

It's just arrived,have connected it up to a CD player,and it sounds just great.
All the bulbs are working too,which is surprising on a amp of this rarity and age (will give it a nice clean up later tonight).

paulb015-3.jpg
[/IMG]
paulb014-6.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I purchased this rare one on Ebay just recently,love the looks of it.It works excellent,and sounds great on one set of outputs,but not on the other.
Will post better pics when it arrives next week.

KGrHqNisFBsZUu-PJBQnBIIPZ9g60_12.jpg
[/IMG]
T2eC16JzUE9s38-JIBQnBIttfkQ60_12.jpg
[/IMG]

Wow! Look at all the button on the right side. That looks like something out of a launch command center (not that I would know). This old stuff is pure art. I have a Toshiba SA-400 I'm just finishing up and will post pictures of it. Very Cool!

Beautiful looking SA-514 quad receiver above.

paulb009-8.jpg
[/IMG]
paulb011-5.jpg
[/IMG]
paulb012-9.jpg
[/IMG]
Wow! Look at all the button on the right side. That looks like something out of a launch command center (not that I would know). This old stuff is pure art. I have a Toshiba SA-400 I'm just finishing up and will post pictures of it. Very Cool!

I would certainly agree,this Toshiba quad amp has really taken me by surprise,the build quality is exceptional as is sound,and if looks could kill! :D
It's amazing to think gear like this was coming out in 1974.Anyway have cleaned him up real nice,thus have taken some more better pics :thmbsp:

Here's something that's hard to find. I have a 335 set but can't get a pic up right now.

Attachments

• Toshiba%20scan%204001%20%28Medium%29.jpg
    Toshiba%20scan%204001%20%28Medium%29.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 149
Toshiba SA-400 + EPI A70 Speakers - SWEET!

This is my latest acquisition - this sweet little Toshiba found at GW for $8. It is in fantastic condition with little wear. Replaced all the lamps, DeOx'd the POTS and polished up the veneer cabinet. Didn't need to do much. It sounds good with plenty of volume. Could be a little heavier on the bass but it's fine. The EPI A70s are solid (re-foamed the woofers last week). I think the Toshiba has a great, classic look to it. I think it is a keeper for the collection.

Last edited:
Very nice looking. Don't think I've ever seen one of those. For reference, most receivers made in Japan were for export.

This is my latest acquisition - this sweet little Toshiba found at GW for $8. It is in fantastic condition with little wear. Replaced all the lamps, DeOx'd the POTS and polished up the veneer cabinet. Didn't need to do much. It sounds good with plenty of volume. Could be a little heavier on the base but it's fine. The EPI A70s are solid (re-foamed the woofers last week). I think the Toshiba has a great, classic look to it. I think it is a keep for the collection.

Back
Top Bottom