HK Citation in the house

bktheking

Gitter Done!
I normally don't post much about gear anymore but I thought I'd share this one. SN 296, was a local trade, ak member-I won't mention names but it was one of two that he has. I got the cosmetically challenged of the two but really it's not that challenged, just the more "used" of the two. It's rumoured that less than 1000 of these were made, more like 750. It would be nice to know of there is a sn higher than 1k, the other one was in the 300's.

Few observations- this receiver is a double edge sword. It's beautiful, it sounds amazing, it's heavy, it's well built, it's cosmetically a work of art. The lid alone must weight 5 lbs if not more. The entire cover less the wood, which by the way no two units are alike by wood pattern design , is made entirely of steel. It's a dual mono power supply design, something you don't see often in a receiver. It has touch control inputs- revolutionary for it's time. I could go on and on about what it is.

The other edge of the sword- not many were made making parts almost impossible to find. The service manual doesn't list the "real part numbers" of what was used- instead you get HK numbers and these numbers are only found in the citation. The touch control is made up of 12 or so IC's- going to be hard to service if something goes wrong, not only that, there are 3 connectors with approx 30 wires going to this one board- broken wire anyone? The pots are combo pots AND switches. Every pot you see also has a switch associated with it to do different things. Take the midrange pot for example, it also is responsible for turning off the tone controls. Need a replacement- good luck! And to make matters worse, every pot has a different part number! Needless to say I won't use it as a daily driver but I am considering making it my office receiver.

I spent the last 2 days recapping the PS/pre and mpx/muting board. Still have the FM IF board to do, i'm in no rush. I took a pile of pics I thought I'd share.

7yOo8M.jpg

Shot with the cover tilted. The rear of the receiver has slots on both sides, the lid has pivot points that slide into these slots. The cover is held on in position with rear brackets, no screws.

VmOAhR.jpg

As you can see , 2 rather large transformers, 2 x 8000uf caps per channel, 2 separate driver boards- mpx and muting/meter board surround the tuning cap. The tuning cap is missing its black metal cover, coincidentally it's the same tuning cap out of the sx1250- if someone has a spare cover...well...I can't ask here :D. The touch control board is to the right of the tuning cap.

It's 80 percent restored , driver boards , phono, and the rest I listed have been done. I'll post more today.

Bottom shot- has the AM board, FM IF board, tape input board, PS board and PRE.

jUn4GY.jpg

Bottom shot of the caps- typical full wave rectifier setup , same found in the citation 16 amp.

kEdFCi.jpg

The pre:

Q551Np.jpg

That thing is stuffed. Thank goodness the wires are terminated with plugs so desoldering is minimized. I never realized how complex it is, very deceiving. Never had a chance to use or have one. Maybe I made a mistake.

Oh it's packed with wires, crazy amount of them!
4 levels of protection on these babies! One- Fuses, secondaries of the transformer is all fused. Two-thermal sensors on the heatsinks directly on the outputs, three - protection from DC via the relay, four- glass circuit breakers sitting in the chassis, one per channel!

MLsQ3U.jpg

More ic's can be found on the tape input board.

YEBE1f.jpg

Last edited:
Fused transformers

O2Q4oe.jpg

Start off with the power supply board, protection/relay circuit is fed from one transformer, the rest of the PS - which powers the tuner, pre and logic board are fed from the other. Each driver board is fed rail voltage and power from each transformer as well on separate windings.

The relay is non standard, 3 rows of pins. There are 6 pas transistors on the single heatsink, two to92's (one darlington) and 1 pas on the board for protection. The board contains nichicon and ICC capacitors.

UrLEig.jpg

Last edited:
I have always thought this is one of the neatest receivers ever made based on looks, and limited availability. I can't comment otherwise because I have never heard one.
Man, that thing looks scary inside.

Thanks Tom.

Here's a shot of the PS from another angle:

kpfOBR.jpg

Upon redoing the PS board I discovered some possible leakage, none of the other caps had glue or the markings seen here:

5DAhax.jpg

Shot of the board recapped:

KRAh4q.jpg

Shot of the top with the touch control bar removed. Note the dial plate is held on by screws and is metal.

XkUXBV.jpg

Onto the pre- many caps, double sided epoxy board, not fun to recap. Spend a lot of time running the hakko 808 on this board. No damaged traces. Lots of caps. Note the pots, switch/pot combination. 1 tant on the board.

3E45QA.jpg

80% of the 100uf caps were leaking as seen in the pic.

DBzbsg.jpg

Recapped:

TBMixf.jpg

I have a want on BT for this, previous owner over tightened the nut holding the mid range pot on and broke the brass threaded collar. It still works however it's not solid. If anyone has any repair suggestions i'm all ears. You can't glue or jbweld it, it may get onto the shaft preventing it from being rotated.

8jEciF.jpg

Shot of the MPX board after recap.

fj4iL5.jpg

Another interesting feature. If you need to service the lamps, the entire tuning assembly tilts upward by removing 3 screws holding it down to the chassis. You rotate the pointer to a cutout in the faceplate , remove the tuning knob, disconnect a couple of connectors. Once it's tilted you have the ability to remove the screws holding the dial plate on to access the lamps.

6qovnQ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom