JVC R-X80 What A Sleeper!

69sixpackbee

Over the weekend I picked up a hammered JVC R-X80 at a Savers way out in Apache Junction AZ on my scrounge hunt from Cali. It was in really clean shape looking straight on but the rear and top was kinda beat up. It was missing 2 speaker posts, the AM stick ball mount was busted and it was basically scratched up. It funny because the front is absolutely SPOTLESS! I said "what the hell" and I hooked up my HPM-100's to it a pushed the power button. HOLY CRAP! This turd thumped these speakers like a unit twice its power! Crystal clear, clean, non-distorted and MPX separation like all get out. I was totAlly amazed at the clean and powerful sound this thing put out that I was literally blown away! I never realized these Super-A JVC's had it in them. For a 70WPC receiver this one sure surprised me. It has one helluva tuner to boot.
Looks like I'll be giving these a little more "cred" and I am definitely going to spruce it up.
All I can say is JVC's are going to be more in my radar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see another JVC convert! Keep it quiet though. These great pieces are under the radar, so those in the know get great deals.

Just an FYI, most super a gear runs hot.

Post pics when you can. The AM antenna can probably be found an a donor receiver.

Glenn

Okay
9d184d6fd3dbbbfda3282029b3d46e70.jpg
5edbdb2963f0eb4a69fdbfcf2ebc7f32.jpg
f9daed145d101e5700d24c7d148e3fd1.jpg
7c1880068215f035fcb8cabce8d87789.jpg
ead16c9ef24a3e9e51a75212cf45a0ac.jpg
da2e0d389ed7ed5fcd26f8de08497b7d.jpg

Nice! The cabinet is not as bad I was expecting. I always loved the back lighting on the EQ, but looks like two bulbs are out.

You can probably repair the AM antenna mount with some epoxy.

You don't see these often.

Glenn

I'm pretty sure those bulbs are 12V 100mA. IIRC, 4.7mm. At least some are working, so you can check voltage, current flow. I don't see it listed in the R-X80 manual, but I think it is specified on the R-X40 manual. Let me know if you want me to check.

Somebody done a half assed job of trying to fix it because two of the bulbs are just hanging out with tape wrapped around them. Their little grain of rice lightbulbs

Another Jr. RX-40. Got it at my favorite urban thrift store for cheap. Don't see a lot of fart-knockers browsing the electronics shelves. Totally love champagne stuff. Did kids room duty for a while then I decided to get cute and peak the FM. Cracked a ferrite core.

:whip:

attachment.php

Anyhoo easy fix. :D

Attachments

• jvc_rx40.jpg
    jvc_rx40.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 280
I wouldn't. I bought one of the 40's for a girlfriend back in 83-84. Very good receiver. I think you also would be pleasantly surprised how good these sound.

I bought an R-X40 new in 1982. I stupidly sold it because I ran out of inputs (CD, VCR - one AUX.). I recently bought a nice one and I love it. It sounds as good as my new (1987 LOL) 120 WPC JVC.

Stereo Review gave the R-X40 a rave review. Said something like the amp section was worth the price alone. Also something about how quiet it was and couldn't be measured by their equipment. Also how it could drive 2 and 4 ohm loads.

Now I have three JVC's! All of these were thrift store throwaways An R-S33 that is nice, an R-S77 that just needed a fuse and is otherwise in fantastic shape and now this R-X80. I'm gonna have to rotate these into my play list more often!!
0cf026e1e4f3134bb267035ab815d109.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I double checked and verified that my R-X40 uses s 12V 100ma 4.7mm lamp for the Super-A logo / backlight. I'd bet yours takes the same.

I personally dislike the looks of that "transitional" stuff (somewhere between silver face and bpc); however, there were respectable pieces from that era. Cost cutting had not set in so hard, and manufacturers were depleting parts inventories of good components that had been sitting in the warehouse from the previous generation. Even though they are not my cup of tea, per se, I never discount their performance abilities. Even gutted my fair share of bpc that had "leftover" components that were used in the desirable silver faced stuff and are now "unobtanium".

The 1980 JVC gear is the best looking in my opinion.
Just about all my JVC stuff is 1980.

The R-S77 is a fantastic sounding receiver. I've owned mine since new. I put that thing through hell during the 80's crazy parties, 6 pairs of speakers connected to it! When your 23 years old, who knew about ohms! The thing is built like a tank! I bought my daughter a R-S33 two years ago and she loves it, driving a pair of KLH Seventeens.

Thread resurrect.

Picked up a so-so condition R-X80 yesterday. Both filter caps appear to be leaking (and sound changes when I push on them) and the volume doesn't work at all. Lights up pretty and has enough volume thru headphones to listen to, but completely un-adjustable. Took it apart, and couldn't get to the controls to clean.

I like this thing. Anyone have a SM or info?

I've also had one of these for a while (though it doesn't get much use) ..had to replace the bulbs behind the sliders..quite an easy job..except I didn't have a clue what ratings they were. I seem to remember two original bulbs worked..and when i tried the 12 volt grain of wheat version they were too dim in comparison...then tried some 6 volt and they seemed fine although I suspect the originals were actually 8 volts... not easy to find on this side of the pond (and no...I haven't got a clue about electronics so the 6 volt bulbs are probably not ideal and will probably go pop rather sooner than the originals... It's complicated inside too...mine probably needs new caps as the volume output can vary quite a bit in use...Seems to get better as it warms up.
The equalizer board on these can sometimes play up as mine had issues on one channel...but i resoldered all the joints on the board and it seemed to fix the problem.
Heat is definitely an issue with the r-x80....and I do remember having to run a laptop fan on top to keep things cool. It's pretty busy inside without much thought given to airflow...so definitely use a small laptop fan to extract air from the cabinet if you can.
The tuner is a blast to use :)... i love the beep sounds while tuning and the long wired remote is ultra cool in a retro way..
Would love to get this recapped and future proofed one day.
jvc r-X80.jpg jvc r-X80-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom