3 Vintage Harman/Kardon Amplifiers - Photos

le_petie

What's your opinion on those amplifiers, does anybody has,had them....?

Harman/Kardon PM 650

Harman/Kardon PM 665

Harman/Kardon A 402

DSC04887.JPG

Domino :music:

h/k Dual Power Amplifier Design

These amplifiers are from mid 1970s to late 1980s. They were all made in Japan. The build quality is quite good.

Two of these amplifiers, the PM665 and the A402 used the dual amplifier design. The PM665 was the last h/k intergrated amplifier to use this design.

The PM 665 is the best of the three amplifiers. :thmbsp:

Here is what the Orion Blue Book says:

h/k A-402
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1976 - 1977
Additional Information: Power: 40

Retail
MSRP: $369.00
USED: $61.00
Wholesale
Mint: $36.00
Average: $21.00

h/k PM-650
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1980 - 1984
Additional Information: Power: 50

Retail
MSRP: $426.00
USED: $57.00
Wholesale
Mint: $33.00
Average: $19.00

h/k PM-665
Description: LOW NEG FEEDBACK, TURNOVER TONE CONTROLS, BASS CONTOUR
Manufacture Years: 1985 - 1987

Additional Information: Power: 100

Retail
MSRP: $775.00
USED: $167.00
Wholesale
Mint: $97.00
Average: $56.00

I've always liked the A402 (and its little brother the A401) and might have bought one when they were new but it was out of my price range.

They're beautiful, they sound nice, and they aren't plastic.

That's for sure... :thmbsp:

THX for all answers!

So as far 1 vote for PM665 an 1 for A402... waiting for more :D

ok but how those particular amps compare with let say modern Denon PMA-535R(low end)...from purely analitical point of view
i mean i know they sound differently but this is question of individual preference- - i would like to know if i have to look for sth from higher class...

Domino:)

I had a PM665(loaned/never saw again:( ). I had bought as is and got it to work, was most surprised at the SQ. I a/b'd with my mom's old 730 and it walked all over it due to the pre amp section improvents. Very very nice piece of gear.

Carl

When I saw your pic of the 402 it brought back vivid memories. Those many years ago, looking at that amp but having no money, just reading the spec sheet over & over. To bad you don,t live down the street I would come over & and get re acquainted. Do you live down the street??

man i don't even live "down the continent"..... :D

But i must admit it makes an impression.... :jawdrop:
even if it's not as good as 665.

h/k A402 and T403 Pictures

The styling of the T403 tuner display is similar to the h/k 730 receiver of the same vintage.

Many h/k fans, including myself, feel that this era represented some of the best h/k audio designs! :thmbsp:

Attachments

• T403_1.jpg
    T403_1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 274
  • T403_A402.jpg
    T403_A402.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 430
I've been using a 402 for about fifteen years now since I found it in my technician's shop.Got it for thirty dollars I think and it is a great amp; clean power with not any problems!!

I like the clean simple design of their looks. I've never seen these before and am very impressed.

The PM665vxi was the later version of PM665. The PM665vxi which is advertised as high voltage/high current design is similar to the PM665 except it is rated at 150wpc into 8 ohms and there is an Impedance matching selector on the rear panel, and a High voltage / High Current Indicator window on the front panel. I have the PM655vxi which is rated at 90 wpc into 8 0hms and only has one power transformer.

The A402 is a true twin powered amp. Most people would be hard pressed to find a nicer sounding 40 wpc SS integrated amp from any era, IMHO.

Quite clean sounding, but suffers from the malady of the switches needing attention, otherwise they cut in and out. The pots last a bit longer, but still need attention every few years. Deoxit seems to be the best to restore the pots and switches.

Well, I really don't know for which one to vote for, as mine is an 650 but i"m aiming for a 665 or even a 665vxi.

The 650 is powerful enough to move any buckets, so far I've tested the JBL E80 and Mission E35i but for a quad listening mode, may be to small (for death people :p ) as it would have 25W/channel. My personal opinion regarding sound is that the best pairing is powerful speakers and a crystal clear but 20% of the speaker rated power amplifier. Something like 2x40W amp + 2x 200W speakers.

On the other hand, the 665 offers 2x100W or 4x 50W into 8Ohms and it has a rated of 80Amps /channel, if my memory serves me well (which i somehow doubt it)
Haven't yet owned a 665 (but planning to) but I did listen to it. It has the same coloration as its smaller brother, the 650. It certainly has more muscles than 650 but where to show them? Most important, why? :p

As for the 402 model, I'm not familiar with it so no comment there.

PS. The 650 has the best looks though, remember that amp usually sits in your rooms not in a dark closet or cold basement. It should count :p
ps2. this is my first post so nice reading you gang!

The PM655/PM665 may have been the best sounding solid-state integrated amps HK ever made, IME. We carried that whole line, where I worked, in the mid '80s. Really liked those things. Never could afford one bigger than the PM645, but even THAT sounded AMAZINGLY good for the money.

Regards,
Gordon.

We have the A402 with the matching tuner A403. Bought them new in 1978. since then we have moved 8 or 9 times and used it in every house. Still like it as much as we did when we bought it. The amp is going to get its first DeOxit bath this winter.

Not familiar with the others.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom