Speakers nnot working on kr8010

bhs00

My kenwood kr8010 is not putting sound out to the speakers. I moved one speaker to set B and it still didn't provide sound. However the headphone jack works. What could it be? What should I check?

Hi, is there a relay clicking after about 4-6 seconds? (not sure if the headphone jack works with dropping resistors from the speaker outputs..) Will check the SM for you.

edit: looks like it does.

- Check for loose connections in the speaker section? Are the speakers working properly on another system?
- clean the switch

Attachments

• KR8010-spksw.jpg
    KR8010-spksw.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
does this unit have jumpers on the back to seperate the pre from amp ??

Is the speaker switch on A+B? IIRC the speaker connections are in series, and no sound will occur unless both pairs of speakers are connected. Speakers A should work in the just A position. just a shot....

Yes it has a preout and power in. I've had it set up this way for years. When I tried to cut it on, it's not giving sound out of the speakers. I hear the relay after a few seconds but not through the speakers anymore.

the service manual is available at hifiengine.com. The headphone is tapped off the main amps after the relay, and if it is normal, then the problem would have to be in the speaker selector switch or the back panel speaker jacks. The speaker selector switch appears to be mounted right behind the speaker terminals, and is controlled by a flat cable going to the selector knob, so you could also have a mechanical problem with the cable.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Kenwood cable switch.JPG
    Kenwood cable switch.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 43
Well it's working now. I think it was a number of things. I had the speakers on set A and I had to change them to set b. Also my son had been fiddling with the tape dubbing switch. Do you think I should probably still change out the speaker terminals? Set a and a+b doesn't produce sound. Before the problem it did.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom