kenny 6160 fading in and out

ducati2

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
i have never seen this before, so I am puzzled. A recently acquired 6160 is fading in and out of volume and distortion (equally on both channels), especially as I turn up the volume. It does it with any input, fm, am, aux, phono, does not matter. I rebuilt the two power boards and checked all the larger caps in the unit. I have cleaned all pots and it still is doing it.

So, I have maybe narrowed it down to the caps in the tone board or the preamp board OR maybe a bad volume control??? Any help in setting my direction for next step appreciated !

no i meant monitor whilst its fading in an out .

voltage seems to stay stable during fade in and out, but really it is now fading OUT more than IN. Just getting distorted most of the time now. I will just work over each board and hopefully get lucky. Unless someone has some guidance.

Just for ha ha's try cleaning the Volume control first .. might help .. if it does it will save alot of work.

John M

I have cleaned it pretty well twice without results. That was my first guess as well. BUt now am wondering if I need to replace it. I do have a spare one, but just trying to target my labors in the right direction. Anyone have history with early kenwood volume controls crapping out?

voltage seems to stay stable during fade in and out, but really it is now fading OUT more than IN. Just getting distorted most of the time now. I will just work over each board and hopefully get lucky. Unless someone has some guidance.

Now the AM/FM is not working,, the Gage's move but no sound to the speakers. Again , something weird. AUX is working but distorted in both channels. So far have rebuilt power and tone boards.,,, now onto preamp board, but really shooting in the dark...

switch to separated and the plug something with a vol control into main in .start it at low vol .
and if you have another amp try pre out into the other amps aux .

awesome, I need to LEARN this stuff. So, if it sounds ok by switching to separate and using an iphone with it's separate volume control, then it means what exactly?

on the flip side, if I use another amp and use pre out into that other amp and it sounds good, what does that mean exactly? Preamp board is good? right?

awesome, I need to LEARN this stuff. So, if it sounds ok by switching to separate and using an iphone with it's separate volume control, then it means what exactly?
it will mean the main amp is ok .

on the flip side, if I use another amp and use pre out into that other amp and it sounds good, what does that mean exactly? Preamp board is good? right?

yes preamp is good if it sounds ok

Need clarification. I have two exact receivers, kr6160. Receiver A is the messed up one, receiver B runs great.
When switching them both to separate and iPhone music into aux on receiver A, I ran cables from pre out on A to main in on B and it sounded great.

The opposite , w iPhone to aux on unit B and cables from pre out on B to main in on unit A yielded no sound at all.

Does this mean my preamp board on A is ok and I should look again at main boards on unit A? Or do I have all of this back ass-wards? I have already replaced all caps on the two main boards without any change w issue.

well you know all of B is good ..
so pre on A must be good
you put signal into A main and nothing so main on A has a problem
check power supply voltages first

Rebuilt main board w all new caps and one new transistor. Installed new main power large cap, just because I had one. Rebuilt both main power boards. Recapped tone board. Nothing seems to fix the distortion and mysterious lack of AM and FM .

i have been studying schematic and can't find link that would make sense.

Really shooting in the dark, but if my volume pot was the culprit, would there be a lack of radio?

yes, but did not give it any SPECIAL attention.. hmm.. I will work it over tonight.

Super cleaned function switch w no results. At a loss, still looking for some link that would explain the distortion and lack of AM/FM.

will look as soon as i can to point out some voltages to check ..
power for am/fm is likely dead/broken .. it switches through the function switch . both am/fm being dead appears to be power supply issue or that switch

Back
Top Bottom