Kenwood KA-3500 takes puts DC on speaker while powering on

Raccoon1400

When I turn the unit on, it puts the rail voltage on the output for about 3-4 seconds. Both channels do this. What could cause this? The regulated and non regulated voltage supplies for the power amp look fine from what I can tell. I'm worried about this damaging someone's speaker.

So, is there a corresponding big 'thump' coming from the woofers?

The 3500 has an odd little muting mechanism via Qe26 and Qe27 in the pwr amp section. Two transistors, a couple of diodes, and a 47uf cap. Last 3500 I had here with a problem like you describe (but apparently not so severe), swapping those parts out cured it, and it powers up nearly silently.

So, is there a corresponding big 'thump' coming from the woofers?

The 3500 has an odd little muting mechanism via Qe26 and Qe27 in the pwr amp section. Two transistors, a couple of diodes, and a 47uf cap. Last 3500 I had here with a problem like you describe (but apparently not so severe), swapping those parts out cured it, and it powers up nearly silently.

Not so much a thump, but a hum. The same hum I heard while experimenting with sending DC to speakers though my DC protection circuit, just before the test woofer coil toasted.

I'll try swapping those parts and report back soon.

That worked, thanks! I changed the two diodes and two transistors. I left the cap because I don't have any 47/100V caps kicking around.

Back
Top Bottom