Lack of tracking info by Amazon sellers

ScramMan2

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Yet another irritant by Amazon sellers. They like to drop ship using a third party. So the USPS tracking is not visible. Seems like they are not sharp enough to put the number back into Amazon shipping info.

This is from sellers, not Amazon LLC who primarily uses UPS.

I use the tracking info to see how long sellers sit on a product before getting it to the USPS.

Yet another irritant by Amazon sellers. They like to drop ship using a third party. So the USPS tracking is not visible. Seems like they are not sharp enough to put the number back into Amazon shipping info.

This is from sellers, not Amazon LLC who primarily uses UPS.

I use the tracking info to see how long sellers sit on a product before getting it to the USPS.

Drop shipping means the seller isn't the one shipping the item to you. It means a warehouse somewhere or the manufacture is doing the shipping.

I'm waiting on a window vacuum (to use on windows funnily enough) and the tracking info said they attempted delivery yesterday and left a card. I was in and had no music or television on so I didn't miss it. No card through my door. Either it was put through the wrong door of the guy lied. Last night, the tracking info. said out for delivery again. This morning that entry was taken off! I phoned Amazon and they got in touch with Yodel and said they would give them my phone number to make it easier for them.
Am I doing this all wrong? Should I get on my roof and 'yodel' at the top of my voice 'til they hear me and drive in my direction? :D

I'm waiting on a window vacuum (to use on windows funnily enough) and the tracking info said they attempted delivery yesterday and left a card. I was in and had no music or television on so I didn't miss it. No card through my door. Either it was put through the wrong door of the guy lied. Last night, the tracking info. said out for delivery again. This morning that entry was taken off! I phoned Amazon and they got in touch with Yodel and said they would give them my phone number to make it easier for them.
Am I doing this all wrong? Should I get on my roof and 'yodel' at the top of my voice 'til they hear me and drive in my direction? :D

The Post Office has a huge contract with Amazon and in order to keep it, they have to hit certain metrics - on time delivery being the number one. If they are unable to deliver and leave a "note", it doesn't count against them. To ensure that the Post Office keeps the contract, the branch managers now get bonuses if they hit the Amazon numbers. In order to accomplish this, they scan packages as delivered if they show up late at their office or scan them as "delivery attempted".

I own a mail order business and was barraged with phone calls last holiday season from people that did not receive their package, yet the tracking showed it as delivered. In every single case, the package was delivered within a day or two. We started checking our inbound parcels and found the same thing. Any package that arrived after our carrier had started his route was marked as "Delivery Attempted - Business Closed". The time stamp on tracking showed it was clearly during our retail store's normal hours. One package was actually scanned as "Delivery Attempted" while our mailman was picking up packages. I showed him the tracking info and he explained the Amazon/Bonus program. I later confirmed the same info through several other carriers.

I have had other "Delivery Attempted" postings where it was time stamps two minutes after being received at the post office. (we are close to the post office, but not that close)

Got the parcel now but it was odd that they took off the last tracking entry just before it was delivered. If a company uses Royal Mail or Parcel Force, I don't worry about the delivery because they know where to find me.

Another thing I have noticed about USPS tracking on Amazon is that Amazon is not updating/or getting data from the USPS. I'm thinking it's the updating part as you can get up to the minute info from www.usps.com.

It means I'll avoid that seller in future purchases.

Why? Drop shipping is a common practice and makes sense in a lot of cases. Why pay for an extra trip if you can avoid it?
Years ago my FIL bought a printer from Costco (Seattle) and it showed up here in metro Detroit the next day, less than 24 hours later, as it was dropped shipped from Ohio.

That makes so much more sense, especially for a company located on a far coast. Less handling, less shipping usually translates in to lower prices in most businesses.

Why? Drop shipping is a common practice and makes sense in a lot of cases.

I have no problem shipping via a third party. The seller needs a competent IT person to figure out how to get the tracking info back into the Amazon system.

Why a company the size of FedEx can't figure out a way to do this is beyond me. As in FedEx Smartpost, just had a delivery from these jabronies today that I was not able to track.

September 20, 2014 , 1:41 pm
Delivered
HARTLAND, WI 53029

Your item was delivered at 1:41 pm on September 20, 2014 in HARTLAND, WI 53029.
September 20, 2014 , 8:53 am

Out for Delivery
HARTLAND, WI 53029
September 20, 2014 , 8:43 am

Sorting Complete
HARTLAND, WI 53029
September 20, 2014 , 8:32 am

Arrived at Post Office
HARTLAND, WI 53029
September 20, 2014
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS

That's all that was on there for a shipment ordered on September 17, 2014.

Last edited:
Another thing I have noticed about USPS tracking on Amazon is that Amazon is not updating/or getting data from the USPS. I'm thinking it's the updating part as you can get up to the minute info from www.usps.com.

This is a continuing problem for me. I don't even bother with Amazon tracking anymore. All they seem list is date sent/delivered.

I'll stick with the good old USPS, who does have Saturday delivery.

Back
Top Bottom