My new favorite tuner

sinewaver

Isn't a tuner at all. At least in the classic component sense. I got a Nikko NR715 in trade a few months ago and planned on turning it, I have enough receivers already. Gave it a good cleaning and sat down for a listen. Just your average piece from back then. What struck me was how good it's FM section was. The volume pot needs replacing and so I continued on with it at tape out into some better gear. I have a nice collection of tuners and know what I like them to do. This does it all. As good or better than most I own. No drifting, no artifacts from SCA, very little stereo noise. Been enjoying it in this configuration for two weeks now and it probably will stay online for a long time, it's just that good. It seems odd to have such a big thing doing this job. On the plus side, it looks very nice, cleaned up well. It just sounds so good. Am I that easily impressed ? Or did I stumble on something overlooked ?

Nikko made nice tuners, and FM was not an afterthought in receivers back then, as you know. I have an NR1219 and the FM section sounds very good (4 gangs, same HA11223W chip used in the Sansui 719/919 and Gamma I and V according to TIC, etc.).

Maybe your NR715 is in perfect alignment? I am guessing you are not easily impressed - believe your ears :) !

When making comparisons, it helps to know what you compared the Nikko NR715 too.
Knowing that the NR1219 uses a Hitachi HA11223W stereo decoder ic, is helpful info.
I have started compiling a list of tuners and what comps/methods they used for the design.
So when I hear good reviews, I try to look at the schematics to see how they designed it, just to know what they did to make it review so well.
Also to possibly give others insight as why one design sound/perform better than others and to offer ideas for mods.

Last edited:
I pulled it tonight in order to pursue some of it's other problems and substituted a Denon TU460 from my closet. The Denon sounds almost constricted by comparison. Also a bit more noise. I rate the NR 715 on par with my Sony 555es and Onkyo T407. Significantly better than some others in my stash. The truly legendary tuners are beyond my budget.

I inserted a Luxman R-5030 into my system today. It is a receiver with some amp issues, but the tuner is wonderful. Tape out to another amp, and I was all set. The tuner is analog but has some kind of "computer" assist. The SQ is quite good. In the meantime my Nikko Gamma V sits unfixed...

RCS16, I like your idea. That sort of information would help a lot. Compiling it is going to take a ton of time. The Nikko is still under the knife, so to speak. The Denon improved considerably after a few hours of run time. It had sat for several months. In rotation now is an Adcom GTP400. The tuner section is much too noisy for my tastes. Acceptable, but not in light of some others I have. I'm going to go through my collection and see what tuner sections of receivers I have can do. Seems like a Luxman performs well from the posting of Splatter Pac. Maybe we can start a small trend ? I've run separate tuners into receivers that I liked but whose FM performance was lacking. Case in point, I use a Yamaha T500 into a Pioneer SX6 here in my computer room. If there's any information I can help with about the components in use, let me know. I can open the cabinets and note brands of circuitry. Your work may lead to being a guide to better purchases.

Back
Top Bottom