Kenwood Eleven II or Pioneer SX-828

holidaydarin

Greetings Audio Karmans!

I am new here, and new to vintage audio equipment.

Two years ago, a Technics receiver (circa 1999 -- part of a matched component system) I was gifted died.

I had a Kenwood KR-5600 that I'd picked up at a garage sale maybe 15 years earlier. I hooked that up as a replacement, and immediately noticed a sound improvement. After a couple weeks, I looked on-line into the JBL speakers I'd found on the sidewalk also many years before. I was using them as my garage speakers. Turns out they were L100T3's. After I re-foamed the woofers, and hooked them up to the KR-5600....I could not believe I'd been listening to crappy equipment for so long.

Now, the KR-5600 has died and is not economically repairable. In my area there are two choices for sale as replacements:

A Kenwood Eleven II ($160) A little rough cosmetically, but all switches, knobs are there, and all lamps work. 80wpc
A Pioneer SX-828 ($150) Very good condition cosmetically. 54wpc

They are both about an hour's drive, but in a similar direction. I think I'll go listen to both.

I listen to a 50/50 mix of rock and roll and electronic dance music -- the latter delivering a good deal more bass.

Do any of you have opinions about one receiver over the other?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've got a super 11 Kenwood and owned an 828 a few years ago.
I like the Kenwood 11 but the 828 is actually a very nice receiver too.
If it was a 850 I's say take the kenny ... but the 828 is a great amp.
See if you find a pioneer SX2500 ... that sounds better than both these 2 IMHO.
Cool.
Srinath.

Back
Top Bottom