The Absolute Sound Guide to Affordable High-End Audio 2014

Interesting article, I just read a good chunk of it. Thanks.

Now I want several of those JL subwoofers to distribute around my room...

The 2013 issue really opened my eyes on how much affordable audio is on the market.

Last edited:
I'd comment on the true (hidden) cost of "affordable" audio, but I'd be banned for going all political.

Suffice to say that you may save dollars, but at the cost of your soul.

I was actually surprised at how many of these affordable components weren't made in China or another Pacific Rim nation. There were even two electronic components -- one on the sneak preview list and one in the main section of the guide -- that were made in the USA.

Their definition of affordable must be quite different than mine.

If you can buy a reliable used car for less than your stereo system, I think you missed affordable.

While most of the electronics was rather expensive, it seemed like there were some decent prices on speakers and I'm not just talking about the bargain Pioneers, but also the Golden Ear's, PSB's and Def Tech's among others in the $1000 range. In fact there even seemed to be an emphasis on reviewing affordable speakers.

I get that but how about more than one pair of speakers that are less than $500?

I doubt there are a dozen products less than $1,000 in the whole issue.

I was looking for them but didn't take an exact count.

I think there was a $3,000 turntable which is more than the low mileage early 2000s Toyota Carola that I helped a friend find on Craigslist.

It might be a great turntable and I'm sure the quality is top notch but Ive got a near six figure income and that's far too rich for me.

Had to download the free Adobe PDF reader app. Got so much to read for later now!

Sent from my ZTE Olympia

It might be a great turntable and I'm sure the quality is top notch but Ive got a near six figure income and that's far too rich for me.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=410484

Discussion should be specific to a particular article. General comments on audio gear and philosophy are prohibited. This includes talk of industry conspiracy theory, proclamations of snake oil, collusion of reviewers and advertisers, the price of gear, and other inflammatory remarks that lead the discussion away from the specific article being discussed.

I get that but how about more than one pair of speakers that are less than $500?

I doubt there are a dozen products less than $1,000 in the whole issue.

I was looking for them but didn't take an exact count.

I think there was a $3,000 turntable which is more than the low mileage early 2000s Toyota Carola that I helped a friend find on Craigslist.

Quality audio has NEVER been cheap. If anything, it is cheaper now then it has ever been before. As this article so clearly illustrates.

Quality audio has NEVER been cheap. If anything, it is cheaper now then it has ever been before. As this article so clearly illustrates.

Actually I was surprised at how LOW the overall prices were, coming of all places from the Absolute Sound. As an avid reader of TAS years ago, I remember articles about $5,000 phono cartridges when I was earning less than twice that a year. I had enough trouble affording the magazine! Especially from their perspective, I thought they were being quite moderate.

Back
Top Bottom