Choosing a USB DAC

connorb850

First post here - I'm planning to eliminate my Logitech computer speakers and onboard audio in favor of a "real" setup.

I (think) I'm going to purchase an external USB DAC to connect to a receiver. This is my first audio project and I don't need anything extravagant. At minimum I need RCA outputs and a separate headphone jack. Lots of choices out there and I don't know where to begin. Are the powered DAC's necessarily better/preferred? Will $150-200 buy me a decent one?

Suggestions and guidance is much appreciated!

I (think) I'm going to purchase an external USB DAC to connect to a receiver. This is my first audio project and I don't need anything extravagant. At minimum I need RCA outputs and a separate headphone jack. Lots of choices out there and I don't know where to begin. Are the powered DAC's necessarily better/preferred? Will $150-200 buy me a decent one?

Suggestions and guidance is much appreciated!

Welcome!

Emotiva currently has a few re-furbs of their XDA-2 DAC for $199 including shipping and 5-year warranty. You have to call to take advantage of the offer, it's not on the web site. The current sale price is already low for a new unit at $219. Many here have found it to be a great unit that really plays way beyond its price.

Well, I've had an emotiva xda-2 and wasn't impressed. Just got a meridian explorer and love it. Either would do what you need. The xda-2 is huge though. Also, have a Fiio E10 and it's pretty good as well. Good luck.

I also have a fifty-dollar Muse DAC that works fine. The quality and utility of the Emotiva is what sets it apart, combining essentially a pre-amp, control center, and head-phone amp all-in-one—with a quality remote thrown in for good measure. As an avid vintage two-channel guy, the Emotiva lets me integrate new technology with old and gives me a remote volume control and source switching lacking in most vintage systems.

Like four separates in one for $200? Just buy one and see if you don't love it. :scratch2:

+1 on the Emotiva XDA-2. Good DAC for the money. I also have a Schiit Bifrost, which is my preferred DAC, but it is above your stated budget.

Used Blue Circle USB DAC is also an option (if you don't mind the looks).
Powered from the USB.
I have 3, bought for about $100 each. Not too sure how much they are new.
They do the trick just fine.

Thanks for the suggestions so far - keep them coming!

My top choices thus far, in no particular order:
Audioengine D1
Emotiva XDA-2
Arcam rPAC

I really want one with a separate headphone amp feature, so I can leave the receiver turned off during headphone listening. Does that logic make sense?

Emotiva currently has a few re-furbs of their XDA-2 DAC for $199 including shipping and 5-year warranty. You have to call to take advantage of the offer, it's not on the web site. The current sale price is already low for a new unit at $219. Many here have found it to be a great unit that really plays way beyond its price.

Thanks for the heads up on the special offer. That is one of my top choices, though it may be overkill (in size and features) for my needs. BTW, I'm a member of the BMWCCA, assuming that's what your user name represents. Great club and magazine!

BTW, I'm a member of the BMWCCA, assuming that's what your user name represents. Great club and magazine!

Yep. I started one chapter and gave a lot of my time to the Club, the National Board, and Roundel over many, many years!

Another one to consider in the lower price range is the Aune T1. I see they have a Mk2 model out now that can handle 24bit/192kHz. It has a single tube buffer & a lot of people end up spending more money on tube rolling than they spent on the DAC itself. I have one (older model) & while it's not the end all/be all of DACs (be prepared to spend thousands for that) it is very enjoyable & musical. There is an exhaustive thread on it at headfi.org.

I decided to buy an Emotiva XDA-2 while they still had them available for $199 (refurbished). For the money it seemed like the best option for my needs. The unit arrived today and first impressions are good. I'm still waiting on some other components to arrive before I set things up, but physical build quality seems very good.

Have you tried a stereo mini-plug to stereo RCA plugs? Stock computers have better sound than one might expect. It might be worth $5 to try it.

You should add Schitt Modi to your list of entry level DACs. They're $110.

Back
Top Bottom