Panasonic LCD TV has gone dead.

Daunia 70

Lunatic Member
I purchased this Panasonic 15" TX-15LT2 in 2004 from the local Panasonic centre.
It was expensive for a 15" LCD (£1,300.00),but as soon as I saw it I fell in luv with it...Beautiful build quality (metal in lots of places),and it was actually made in Japan (rare for a TV).
Anyway,always when I turn it on via remote,I'd always hear a little click sound,then a few seconds later the display would come on,but over the last week that little click sound has got much quieter.
I was watching a DVD last night,when suddenly the picture dimmed for about 10 seconds,then it went completely out...and now it's completely dead!

I was wondering if this is an easy fix,or could it be something serious (like the LCD display has packed up). I haven't used it heavily over the years.

001_zps5a172f25.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Don't know the problem but my guess is it's not the LCD panel per se. Likely some other issue, power supply board or something like that.

Capacitors maybe? I know there is an issue with cheap caps blowing in TV's/monitors and similar equipment. I just fixed a 4 year old satellite PVR with 6 bad caps. If you can get in to it, you can fairly easily spot the bad ones...otherwise, no clue.

if you google the fault and model number you might find the answer .. you may need to change keywords a bit in your search .
prob as said bad caps .. i have fixed a few now .
there may even be a repair kit available for it ..there often is .

Cheers for the link...I've just tried the factory reset,but no joy.
I now tend to think it's bad caps,but it's something that I wouldn't be able to repair myself,so I'm not too sure what to do,as the local Panasonic dealer/technician in the Town charges £60 just for looking at something...and that's before doing any kind of repair work.
Just being looking for another one on Ebay UK,but to no avail. Also,I see in completed listings they've lost helluva lot of their original value.
Whilst I was looking,I came across this 100% working Panasonic AG-500 monitor with built-in playback VCR (no built-in TV tuner).
Apparently,these were manufactured for heavy commercial use,and are quite reliable and rare. As I only watch actual TV downstairs on our bigger Panasonic TV's,thought this would be idea for DVD/VCR playback in the man cave,so I went a head and purchased it on a very reasonable "Buy It Now".

_57_zpsfd28cbd8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Doesn't pay to stick much money into those smaller sets. A 20 inch LED set can be had for anywhere between 100-150 US.

Cheers for the link...I've just tried the factory reset,but no joy.
I now tend to think it's bad caps,but it's something that I wouldn't be able to repair myself,so I'm not too sure what to do,as the local Panasonic dealer/technician in the Town charges £60 just for looking at something...and that's before doing any kind of repair work.
Just being looking for another one on Ebay UK,but to no avail. Also,I see in completed listings they've lost helluva lot of their original value.
Whilst I was looking,I came across this 100% working Panasonic AG-500 monitor with built-in playback VCR (no built-in TV tuner).
Apparently,these were manufactured for heavy commercial use,and are quite reliable and rare.
As I only watch actual TV downstairs on our bigger Panasonic TV's,thought this would be idea for DVD/VCR playback in the man cave,so I went a head and purchased it on a very reasonable "Buy It Now".

All of the AG equipment is considered professional. They were used for educational, training and advertising, or to just monitor AV from other equipment.
Supposedly a reason they didn't design them to record or receive is to make them less attractive to thieves. Also they aren't subject to licensing because of them not being able to receive or record.

All of the AG equipment is considered professional. They were used for educational, training and advertising, or to just monitor AV from other equipment.
Supposedly a reason they didn't design them to record or receive is to make them less attractive to thieves. Also they aren't subject to licensing because of them not being able to receive or record.

Cheers for that info.

2004? Dude, just go buy another new 15 inch set. You will probably pay 1/10th of what you paid in 2004.

Take a flashlight to the screen and see if you can see an image. If you still have sound and see the image it is an invertor board or bad caps near the power supply most likely.
Since it is a 2004 it most likely has screws for the back which will make taking off the rear easier.

see the links provided by Bhunter in my old post on Political Chat

http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=5521

I cannot get to the page but the site is called lcdalternatives.com...they might have a solution to your problem.

2004? Dude, just go buy another new 15 inch set. You will probably pay 1/10th of what you paid in 2004.

The thing is...we purchased two new larger (black color plastic) LCD Panasonic TV's around 3 years ago (one for the front room,the other for the conservatory). They're still going strong,but are nowhere near as nicely built. Although,they were much cheaper in price.
The small silver/metal one was something really special...It even won awards in magazines at the time for it's outstanding build quality,picture etc.
Finding a small 15" TV as nicely built,won't be so easy now.

Take a flashlight to the screen and see if you can see an image. If you still have sound and see the image it is an invertor board or bad caps near the power supply most likely.
Since it is a 2004 it most likely has screws for the back which will make taking off the rear easier.

see the links provided by Bhunter in my old post on Political Chat

http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=5521

I cannot get to the page but the site is called lcdalternatives.com...they might have a solution to your problem.

Cheers for the link...looks like I've being pretty lucky compared to some.
I've turned it on via power button at the side. Switching it on this way,you can just about see the display for a quick 5 seconds (but it's very dim/dull),then it just goes dead. But if I turn the power button back off,then on.. the exact same thing will happen again.

Last edited:
That's what my monitor at home was doing, it would power up then quickly shut off. Ended up being a capacitor, cost me $1.49 at Radio Shack. Luckily looking online I found it was a common problem and new exactly which to replace because it wasn't the regular bulged cap, it was a tiny 1/16 square thing I replaced with a regular cap. 3 months so far.

Oh yeah, I just got reminded. The monitor a co worker uses every day had an obviously swollen cap, it's been going for many years since I replaced it.

Last edited:
That's what my monitor at home was doing, it would power up then quickly shut off. Ended up being a capacitor, cost me $1.49 at Radio Shack. Luckily looking online I found it was a common problem and new exactly which to replace because it wasn't the regular bulged cap, it was a tiny 1/16 square thing I replaced with a regular cap. 3 months so far.

Oh yeah, I just got reminded. The monitor a co worker uses every day had an obviously swollen cap, it's been going for many years since I replaced it.

012_zps85c0f180.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Many thanks for that info...looks like a simple inexpensive problem. I'll now most likely take it up to the Panasonic dealer in the Town and have it repaired.
The Panasonic AG-500 has arrived today,and it's in perfect working order...very nice VHS picture quality. I'd imagine it's had a service sometime in it's life as there's a Somerset council building planning sticker on it's rear. Build quality is outstanding... I'd imagine these were very expensive back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom