It's the Fall New England FrankenFest time coming up on Saturday October 25th

Have fun guys! I won't be able to make it until summer again due to graduate school (I'm currently in Georgia for the year)

Should I put up a workshop thread for der Frankenfest?

Previous workshops:
It seems like some of the pent-up demand for workshops has been satisfied.
In the last few years, we've had:
*subwoofer integration
*what to look for when thinking of purchasing a tube amp
*elementary tube amp troubleshooting
*mounting a cartridge on a turntable
*linear tracking vs pivot arm turntables
*turntable types - idlers, belts, direct, linear, etc.
*record grading
*speaker refoaming
*speaker comparison shootouts
*tube testing
*monster receiver A/B listening tests
*restored and unrestored SS receiver A/B listening tests
*tube audio workshop-bring your stuff to listen to
*open baffle speakers with flea powered amps
*single driver speaker listening
*critical listening to tube systems and solid state systems

This time baco99 is bringing someone who used to work at NAD and now works at Outlaw Audio to speak to us - that's already set up.
Should I bring up a thread or let it go this time? Perhaps that's enough.

I've been thinking of doing a workshop on system synergy - how to achieve it. I have a talent of putting together both humble and fancy systems that some people seem to think sound good and I can pass along some of my observations on how to achieve that yourself in a system synergy workshop. That synergy discussion would be about building a system with a goal in mind as opposed to looking for the magic component that brings everything together. That workshop won't be ready for the fall because I haven't fully thought it through.

Your thoughts? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post your thoughts publicly.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a couple workshops. I know that one of my hopes if I make it out is to hear a few different speaker sets. I'd also love to hear a system that is in the upper reaches of perfection in somebody's opinion. There are times when my system has been a bit mind blowing to me and others where it's simply ok. After adding the new amp I started swapping out speakers trying to find something, sound stage + 'reality' mostly. I almost feel like I've lost the direction and would really like to hear a few good/great systems to recalibrate.

I could actually bring my current set up out now that I think about it. Refurbed MC240 / Martin Logan bookshelfs on stands, Luxman R102 as pre and a TT. That wouldn't be that bad to haul out there.

sxty8goats,
It sounds like you'd benefit from the synergy workshop . . . which I'm not prepared to deliver yet.

I'm going to try like hell to be there although we're house hunting and getting desperate since our house sold so quickly. With a little luck things will settle down by the 25th.

Sad to say it, but I'm OUT for this fest. My church's biannual rummage sale is that day, and it caps off a week of 24/7 sorting, testing, cleaning, and general hard labor.

Of course, if anyone on the north shore is also unable to make the fest, feel free to drop by the Church of St. Andrew in Marblehead and see the biggest church sale you'll ever run across.

Sad to say it, but I'm OUT for this fest. My church's biannual rummage sale is that day, and it caps off a week of 24/7 sorting, testing, cleaning, and general hard labor.

Of course, if anyone on the north shore is also unable to make the fest, feel free to drop by the Church of St. Andrew in Marblehead and see the biggest church sale you'll ever run across.

AWWW man, no cookies?!!!!!!

I'm out too then :sigh:.

Want to buy my house? Throw in some records to sweeten the deal......
I'm going to try like hell to be there although we're house hunting and getting desperate since our house sold so quickly. With a little luck things will settle down by the 25th.

se

well it looks as thou i mite make a apperance :) no promises - but id love to see a few old friends again!

I'm coming, looking forward to it.

Spaces available -
Big room we've been using for buy/sell/trade
What used to be the other half of my shop, with the windows. This space has an office that might be useful as a close listening room.
The enclosed space adjacent to the 2nd floor alcove mentioned previously may be available. The former tenant Hesse Mechatronics has moved to the first floor, this space is roughly 28 x20 and has carpeted floors.

Assuming none of these spaces get occupied they will be available, I'll update as needed. Peter no longer has a presence in the building, his spaces should not be considered available.

Sure wish I could have made it. I will be near Clinton up until the 19th.
Damn the luck. Your get togethers are renown.

I'd be up for occupying the office space as a close listening space. Probably would work in tandem with chinacave.

Wait, I just realized . . . Peter's one of us. I hope he comes anyway, even if he's not using space in the building.

Can't wait! But not happy about my buddy, John, not coming along with me. Nobody else is going to introduce me to obscure anime soundtracks!

Back
Top Bottom