Sennheiser hd201, cheap but are they cheerful ?

For $25, a great buy. A bit more neutral and cohesive than the HD202 which sells for about the same price. At the price, the only negative thing to say is that the build quality is commensurate with the price.

I own a pair,but don't go much on 'em...found them kind've dull sounding,no energy,excitement to the music.

I own a pair,but don't go much on 'em...found them kind've dull sounding,no energy,excitement to the music.

Yeah i feared that might be the case due to the price, basically i am looking to upgrade from my audio technica ath-m30's on the cheap, tried grado sr80s but they were brassy and very uncomfortable.

I have some in ear sennheisers for the gym which are decent hence me looking at these

I bought an HD201S a few years back to use at work. I've been spoiled by my HD650 and the 201 sounds like crap. I use it only for quick checking if decks are functional. Can't enjoy music with them. They could be decent for TV though but not much beyond that.

We have the 201s and 202s in the family. The kids use both. One for gaming and the other for headphone guitar amp use.

Compared to most $50+ headphones, they are lacking. Compared to most sub-$50 headphones oriented towards gamers, they are pretty awesome for 2-channel/no mic phones.

Take that for what it's worth. I mean, I paid $50 for my ATH-M50s used and they are radically better than the cheap Senns but if I only had my $30 Philips ear buds or the 201s and I wasn't walking around, I'd absolutely take the 201s.

Between the 201s and 202s, I'd absolutely go for the 201s.

I realize you are in England but for folks on this side that might check the thread, the ATM-M30s are definitely a step down from the M50s but sometimes Amazon has them for as cheap as $30. Guitar Center and Sam Ash will price match them when on sale. Those are heavier than the 201s or 202s but definitely sound better in every way in my opinion.

I don't know that the 201s or 202s sound radically better after 20 or so hours of break-in but the M30s definitely fill in on the bottom.

I have around 10 pair of the 202's and 201's for musicians to use when tracking and they sound nice. And surprisingly they hold up to a lot of abuse. The isolation is great too.

Back
Top Bottom