Nissan CVT failure

Dunno what the exact nature of the failure is.

In light of playing the "there must have been some problems since they doubled the warranty coverage" card, the dealer came back countering she will only need to pay 25% (roughly $900, plus taxes).

That's likely what Nissan will do so I think I may suggest she press the dealer to split that 25% with her since she has had all service and maintenance et al. done there.

that's likely about what i suggested,Nissan is going to go good for the transmission,and are essentially asking you to pay for the installation.$900 at current dealer shop rates is really only about a day in the shop...which is probably about right for a job like that to get done properly...the dealer MAY have some wiggle room on thier end,it doesn't hurt to politely ask or suggest they do what they can to help you out on the cost...but i wouldn't be too put out if they weren't willing to reduce it any farther.$900 is not a small bill but considering the original $3500 estimate you were facing,i wouldn't object too loudly.

i work for a dealer so i see this stuff all the time,and i have even been involved in similar with my own vehicles...the question you really want to ask is about the warranty on that new transmission...the install work will be covered by the dealers standard shop warranty,they will stand behind thier work,so theres no big deal there...BUT...in these cases the warranty on the parts can often get a little skewed.if you bought the trans and had it installed at the dealer[for $3500]it would carry a full warranty just as you would expect[so many years/so many miles]. as a condition of Nissan subsidizing this job,you might find that this is a one time thing with no real extension on your original warranty,and no warranty on the new trans either...meaning,this is what they will do,and this is it...you will be fully on the hook if it should fail again for any reason besides perhaps being obviously defective right from the get go...all things considered this is still a good deal for you and it's unlikely to bite you,but it's something to be aware of and ask about...

I think she said they told her the replacement trans would have a 1 year warranty.

Even though she really liked her Rogue, my guess is this will be her last Nissan. Her expectation for vehicle life without major failure is well beyond ~100k. As well, I think a trans failure at that miles considering the way she drives and maintains the vehicle is absolutely ridiculous.

I'd been considering a Maxima/Altima for a future car but I think that's off the table in light of this.

A while ago I posted about the possibility that leasing a car was now a better idea than buying, because the systems are getting more complex and the cost of out-of-warranty repairs is so high. Most people said the reliability of modern cars is so good that it isn't an issue. This is exactly the case I was worried about, car not that old, not that far out of warranty, and very high repair cost, with no guarantee that the same problem won't occur two years down the road. I've never leased a car, but it's looking like a better move if one can live with the mileage limits.

Yup. For the past 20 years, I've leased a car for my wife (she likes new). The lease is always for the warranty duration or a little less.

I have rented two Nissans both with the CVT. Hated them both and would never buy anything with one, except a mini bike! we bought a new Civic in 12 and it was the last year of a real auto, all new ones have CVTs. what was the phrase the GM exec coined, "planned obsolescence".

My daughter's Patriot gets better mileage than the 4 year old Civic it replaced. Once you get used to them CVT's aren't that bad to drive. My daughters' Patriot has fake preset "gears" that you can shift +/- style. With continued development CVT's will get better longevity and handle more torque. Remember Powerglides gave way to Turbohydramatics and so it goes. When I was doing research on my daughters' CVT I found where JATCO makes them for trucks overseas. It's probably a matter of form factor for cars.

I have rented two Nissans both with the CVT. Hated them both and would never buy anything with one, except a mini bike! we bought a new Civic in 12 and it was the last year of a real auto, all new ones have CVTs. what was the phrase the GM exec coined, "planned obsolescence".

Wait, me and wife bought a 2013 Honda Fit with the sport package, and paddle shifters.

You telling me that tranny is cvt? Oh, the huge manatee!:sigh:

My daughter's Patriot gets better mileage than the 4 year old Civic it replaced. Once you get used to them CVT's aren't that bad to drive. My daughters' Patriot has fake preset "gears" that you can shift +/- style. With continued development CVT's will get better longevity and handle more torque. Remember Powerglides gave way to Turbohydramatics and so it goes. When I was doing research on my daughters' CVT I found where JATCO makes them for trucks overseas. It's probably a matter of form factor for cars.

I didnt have any complaints about the CVT performance in the Maxima I rented on a prior vacation. However, given this situation, as mentioned earlier they're probably off the table for me.

Wait, me and wife bought a 2013 Honda Fit with the sport package, and paddle shifters.

You telling me that tranny is cvt? Oh, the huge manatee!:sigh:

nope...2013 fit says 5AT,not CVT in our inventory system...so five speed auto...the new gen 2015 fits due later this year will switch over to the CVT tho..Accord and Civic have both already gone that way in the last few years...i have not heard any complaints about the Honda CVT's here at work tho,so i would assume they're not overly prone to early mortality.

Oh I understand voting with the wallet. Currently leaning towards VW based on our Passat's performance. I've read articles praising their DSG trans as the best in the business.

nope...2013 fit says 5AT,not CVT in our inventory system...so five speed auto...the new gen 2015 fits due later this year will switch over to the CVT tho..Accord and Civic have both already gone that way in the last few years...i have not heard any complaints about the Honda CVT's here at work tho,so i would assume they're not overly prone to early mortality.

Does Honda make their own CVT's or outsource them?

Does Honda make their own CVT's or outsource them?

yes they do..a quick web search also found this snippet of info in a Car and driver article

"Audi, Honda, Hyundai, Subaru, and Toyota all make their own CVTs. Nissan owns a controlling interest in JATCO, the firm that supplies 49 percent of the world’s gear-free transmissions to Chrysler, GM, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki. In addition, nearly half of Nissan’s current U.S. models offer a JATCO-supplied CVT. "

ours is a Civic I think the Fit still used a real tranny in 13?

Thank you!

Thank you, part deux!

Very impressed with our little Fit. When I drive, I get nearly 40 mpg going to the Nashville VA hospital. When the wife drives, not so much, lol.

It does everything right - sips gas, fun, nimble, stylish, and nary anything wasted. Yeah, the interior is cheaply made, but for 18k, what can ya expect?

Attachments

• WP_000439.jpg
    WP_000439.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 13
My wife's Altima coupe is at 90K and counting. We've been happy enough with the CVT - I hope we're not headed for a meltdown in a few thousand miles. So far, better than my old MPV, which needed a complete transmission rebuild at 60K.

Likely this will be the final deal as she's tiring of negotiating.

Initial estimate was $3500...

Nissan came to the table with parts leaving $900 labor and miscellaneous. Asked dealer to sharpen the pencil on the labor, they dropped it to $650 and are providing a loaner car for the roughly 1 week her Rogue will be in the shop.

I think she did OK.

Likely this will be the final deal as she's tiring of negotiating.

Initial estimate was $3500...

Nissan came to the table with parts leaving $900 labor and miscellaneous. Asked dealer to sharpen the pencil on the labor, they dropped it to $650 and are providing a loaner car for the roughly 1 week her Rogue will be in the shop.

I think she did OK.
Under the circumstances, that sounds like a deal. Car's broke, out of warranty and you get it fixed for $650. "Where do I sign"?

Murray

Back
Top Bottom