How good are these scopes

waggs098

I need to get a scope. Just wanting opinions about them. Reliability, usability, serviceability, and overall opinions. These are the options. Also I only know physical condition. Don't know if they actually work.

Tek 453
Tek 2220
Tek 456
Tek 7603

I'm going to guess the 465 is probably the best based on the info I have read.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

They are all good scopes. If you have the room for it, I'd recommend the 7603 as it is the most flexible of them all. It will accommodate a wide variety of plug-ins which will enable you to do many different things with it. The whole 7000 series was VERY popular and Tektronix made a lot of them in the day and so they are readily available and cheap for what you get. Parts and plug-ins are readily available, too. It has onscreen display of horizontal and vertical settings, too, which the 453 and 465 lack.
Rick

2220 is digital storage (with analog mode). Nice to be able to save a display sometimes. It's also the lightest of the four, in case you need to move it around. 7603 is on the large side. The 453 and 465 use discrete components and can probably be REPAIRED if they ever fail. Later modes have some custom chips that are no longer available except from a junker.

Well not knowing how operational they are I think I will shoot for the 453 or 465. Thanks for the input and I'll check for other suggestions.

The 465 is an ubiquitous workhorse, and they're hard to kill. Lots of them are still in working production environments.

Back
Top Bottom