Homer's NC March 10th audiofest (NO advertising!)

KQVKQ9 said:
Looks like a lot of fun and I didn't even know it was happening. Glad you liked my Green Monster. That's about three years old now. Great to follow the old ones around!

Welcome to AK, Great amp btw...

analog addict said:
Glad to see you have arrived. I think you'll find a lot of converts now that they've have a chance to hear the G.M. Only 30 WPC? Should have known Cableguy was blowing smoke you know where...:yikes: ...:D Hey, I'm not complaining...Lot's of the folk at the NC Fest would have liked to carry that bad boy home that night...Build any tube preamps???:scratch2:

"Should have known Cableguy was blowing smoke you know where"
ouch.........:smoke:
35 wpc with 6L6 tubes, 60 wpc with KT 88's...at least that what the seller tole' me. :dunno: Any-who...I'm glad that your enjoying the amp AA, she's a good un'.
Bill

KQVKQ9 said:
That one was built on a mono Magnavox chassis that's really cool to build on because the majority of the sockets are already in place. Pop off the old output transformer, add a pair of good outputs and new circuitry and off you go. Hard steel on the chassis though. Believe it or not that amp is only 30wpc tops. Only 350vdc or so on the plates as the original amp was set for 6V6. I like the green myself but you know some of these guys...
Lance, good to see you made it to our...(umph)...humble home. As you can see the "saga" of the GM continues.....:yes:

Never believe anything...

As you might have noticed, power ratings don't tell you that much. 30 watts a side is plenty if it's 30 quality watts. You were driving some pretty efficient speakers there. Ten times the power makes it twice as loud and all that. Now if you need any tips with that 6V6 amp let me know. The Green Monster will run 6V6 perfectly so if you just turn it upside down and clone the circuit you're done. Just keep the B+ under 350v or so. I'm in Morro Bay, Ca. That's halfway between San Francisco and dreaded Los Angeles. Lived in S.F. for 50 years. Lots of blasted Dodger fans down here with those blasted Blue caps and stuff.

Hehehe...

...Jes pullin' yer chain Cableguy. The only way I could be happier with the G.M. was if I had....Two of 'em!!!:D

Lance, maybe this is a dumb question:stupid: but I was wondering if the G.M. can be bridged. Who knows, maybe another one will wander into my hands some day...:smoke: Also, you should feel right at home with the rest of us old buzzards around here....:boring: :D

Bridged?

I never bridge amps. Nothing against it but never bothered with it. If you need more power use a more powerful amp. If, say, you replaced the power transformer with one that put out 500+vdc to the plates you'd have that 60wpc. That big gray amp I sold last month was built on the same magnavox chassis as the Green Monster but had a very large power transformer from another unit. A friend of mine that had Magnaplaner 3.8r tried it and said I was way wrong. It put out a lot more than the 60 watts a side I quoted. He regularly uses a NYAL Moscode 300 that I fixed for him. 150wpc. Said that the big gray amp got louder with less stress and more ease than to the 150wpc job. The Magnaplaners eat power. Don't recommend that you carve up the Monster but seriously, this is only an issue with how much the power transformer puts out. Everything else there is fully capable of more than 60wpc. You don't need it though. Power mad. They're all power mad.

I hooked it up to a pair of 4 ohm 84 db AR 91's and it ran them with ease......Tube power is a funny thing, I haven't figured out the dynamics behind it....it is definitely a different animal than transistor.:scratch2:

Sorry, I missed the shindig. Looks like everyone had a bunch of fun. Also looks like there was enough audio gear there to start a warehouse store.

analog addict said:
Must have more power!!!! I need an amp with a Jacobs ladder in it!!!
:screwy:

I have a Jacobs ladder here if you want to borrow it. Used to lock my computer up when I ran it on the same bench. Now, one with a BIG Tesla coil built into it would be cool :scratch2: .

analog addict said:
Must have more power!!!! I need an amp with a Jacobs ladder in it!!!
:screwy:

A 211 or 845 transmitting tube, single ended...wants about a kilovolt and a half on the plates :banana:

Makes my 500V 811-10's seem wimpy, lol

Problem is...I don't have a meter rated that high! :scratch2:

Nothing from nothing...

Just for the first time fired up the Kunzel 1812 on the in-house subwoofer. Never in my life, not even for free ice cream, have my kids ran to me as quickly as they did when the first cannon shot went off. Two floors away and here come the young'uns.

God bless high fidelity!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom