22,000 uF 71V capacitors for CA-2010

belgianbrain

What's the best source for this?

I see digikey has Panasonic T-HA series available at 80V. Will that fit? It's 4 or 5 pin, which has me confused.

I see people recommending Panasonic ECQ-P(Z) series. Where would one find that?

Last edited:
What's the best source for this?

I see digikey has Panasonic T-HA series available at 80V. Will that fit? It's 4 or 5 pin, which has me confused.

I see people recommending Panasonic ECQ-P(Z) series. Where would one find that?

I recommend to remove one of the originals first and check for the pins and the size (diameter and lenght). Then use those data with the research engine at Digikey, RS and at Mouser.com also (I recently purchased my 22,000mF there). Guess you will neither find the exact size nor the same voltage but with those data you will be able to choose the most similar (but never go under the original electric values!!). Don't worry for the brand: Panasonic, Vishay/Sprague, CDE, Epcos, United Chemi-Con, Kendeil. They all produce excellent devices, just check their computer grade models.:thmbsp:

Last edited:
The size of the Panasonics is right (about 2" dia. x 4" high). I haven't removed them yet, though. The Panasonics are 80V, compared to the original 71V, which is fine. I'm mostly concerned about mounting.

The size of the Panasonics is right (about 2" dia. x 4" high). I haven't removed them yet, though. The Panasonics are 80V, compared to the original 71V, which is fine. I'm mostly concerned about mounting.

Check the pins then (especially the distance between the contacts), sometimes Japanese amps had non standard devices, like the one in this picture: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=290580 .
As for the voltage you will probably find those 80V or 75V also.
One more thing: as those caps are expensive, why don't you plan a full recapping of the boards too? This way you will save on shipping. Take note of all the electrolitycs needed and replace them with good Nichicon Muse or Elna Silmic. Enjoy!! ;)

Last edited:
Pulled one cap out and they look the same as any other 22,000 uF cap I've seen out of a Yamaha. I think the Panasonic THA from digikey will work fine, but I may have to clip off pins 3-5. So, I ordered two of them.

BTW, I am doing a full recap (see my other thread about the CA-2010 just acquired). I ordered the caps from Mouser because they always seem to have more stock. But, I had to order these two from digikey.

Last edited:
Yes, the T-HA caps have 2 pins on each of the + and - leads and a dummy (support) lead and need to be clipped to fit. Avionic has some pics in one of the CA-1000 threads showing this. The data sheet gives precise measurement and orientation for the pins to see if you can match up your hole spacing. In tight spaces, it can be a challenge.

The ECQ-P(Z) caps are polypropylene used to replace Mylar and for other bypass duties, most feel the polypro are superior to Mylar (metalized polyester).

If the big PS caps aren't already bypassed, you might consider using a 2.2uf high voltage polypro as a bypasss cap. This thread has some good info http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148910

Your experience with Mouser is typical. I think there's something going on with the MFRs and suppliers because there's often many items available only at one or the other. I wish Mouser better stocked the big Panny's.

Back
Top Bottom