Rotel RCD-855

Yes, very nice machine. Sold in 1991/92/93 for around $400. An old-school machine (16 bit, 4x oversampling), a good performer if everything works OK.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Thanks, yes everything works great on it. Only thing I'm concern about is that when I shut on the unit, I heard like a static pop. I am not sure if this normal on this particular unit.

I bought one new shortly after it came out. Very good unit, but mine eventually succumbed to repeated mechanical problems. The sound you mention is not normal, and I have no idea what it might be.

Sounds like some crap on the power button. Try,with the power off, pushing the power button off and on.maybe some deoxit on the power button.

Maybe Dr*Audio will post here and help you farther.

A

It's a good CDP, solid with a good tray mechanism. I had one secondhand for about 10 years and only recently donated it on because my other Rotel had a new clock. Sounded very smooth to my ears.

I've still got an RCD 930AX, which would have been bought in the late ~90's - looks very similar to this unit. Haven't lplugged it in for years, will have to give it a spin now...from recollection it was an OK sounding unit

The Rotel RCD-855 is an excellent player as it has the much sought after and highly regarded TDA1541 chip. Nice warm analog sound without digitalis and performance that betters many newer units.

You can search CDP's with this chip set.

There's some fierce bidding for them on the bay. I've seen good example of this Rotel fetch over $100.

There should be muting transistors that kill the output when you shut it off but they may not work fast enough. Try running it off the switched outlet in your preamp/amp/receiver so it shuts off when the system shuts off. Or turn your amp off first. It is difficult to control what equipment does when you remove the power because; well, there's no power! Much easier to control turn on.

There should be muting transistors that kill the output when you shut it off but they may not work fast enough. Try running it off the switched outlet in your preamp/amp/receiver so it shuts off when the system shuts off. Or turn your amp off first. It is difficult to control what equipment does when you remove the power because; well, there's no power! Much easier to control turn on.

It does it only when I turn it on. Might be a bad cap across the switch.

I just remove the cover and dont see anything unusual. What I did is I dioxit the contact switch and that did it.:thmbsp: Thanks for all the help.

BTW, while I had the cover off, I notice that PS cap use a Nichicon 10,000mfd.:D The rest of the caps on the board use Rudycon.

I just remove the cover and dont see anything unusual. What I did is I dioxit the contact switch and that did it.:thmbsp: Thanks for all the help.

BTW, while I had the cover off, I notice that PS cap use a Nichicon 10,000mfd.:D The rest of the caps on the board use Rudycon.

This is only a temporary fix. The contacts are burnt because the cap is bad. If you don't replace the cap, the switch will fail. There should be a ceramic cap across the switch, either located right at the switch or on a board that the switch connects to. Look for a disc shaped cap, maybe 1" diameter.

Used to own one in it's day as well as a few of it's successors. Great players for their price during that time.

Back
Top Bottom