Maggies with my Yammy?

Pullo

My main system is built around a CR-2040 that I've been fixing up (many thanks to Merrylander and everyone else on this forum who've given me valuable help over the last 2 years). It's currently playing through a pair of HPM-900s which I'm thinking of replacing.

Don't get me wrong, the Pioneers are a total blast to listen to and I love the "West Coast" sound, but they're not exactly "Hi Fi" in the pure sense of the term.

They also sound better and more interesting when played out of my 35 WPC Pioneer SX-690 so I'm going to put them together and make that a secondary setup (seriously, the sound signatures of the two combined is just so rich and velvety- almost like a tube setup. It's clear that they were made by the same company for each other and I haven't noticed any issues with dynamics and power).

The Yammy is really transparent and natural in its sound profile and it's got gobs of power (120 WPC RMS into 8 ohms, 140 rated dynamic, and a nice big power supply)- so naturally I've been thinking of power hungry "audiophile" speakers that would give me a different experience from the creamy and aggressive West Coast Pioneer sound). In the interest of diversity I'd rather go with something new than more vintage gear and I definitely like weird or cool looking if possible.

I've been interested in the new B&W 683 S2's (neither weird nor particularly striking looking but I just dig B&Ws) but then I got to thinking- what about Maggies? I know that everybody immediately jumps to separates when they hear the word 'Magnepan' but the 2040 should fall within the "acceptable" range for them.

TLDR: Would trying to run a pair of Magnepan 1.7i from my CR-2040 be a stupid decision? Would it kill my big strong receiver? Would it sound like crud? Would the dynamics be terrible without another hundred Watts of headroom? Also, any suggestions for alternative 3-way floorstanders that cost $3k/pair or less would be welcome (thoughts on B&W CM S2s or Tannoys or what-have-you?)

I'm waiting for spring to come (and for Boston to stop looking like Hoth :D ) to tackle the veneer on the CR-2040. I'll be sure to post pictures when I do. :)

Last edited:
I've owned 3 different set's of Maggies, MMG's, 10.1's (with sub) and 1.5's, the closest relative to the 1.7's. The thing about Maggies is that they need current not so much watts, I ran mine with an 80 watt NAD integrated with pretty good results as NAD's are known for being high current designs (typically). I think your 2040 will probably be OK but to really hear what Maggies can do you'll want to pair them with a big Bryston or comparable amp. Maggies are a mixed bag as what they do well (clarity, tone and lack of boxiness) they do spectacularly well, the things they don't do so well (dynamics, weight and impact) they do so so. Ultimately it's more about what kind of music you listen to that will determine your satisfaction, if it's Jazz or lighter fare like Steely Dan and such you will find little out there to better them. If it's more Rock and harder hitting stuff you may be wanting more, just my 2 cents...

Back
Top Bottom